UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Levy of the Annual Regular Legio

Captain senior?? Captain junior??? Legion liaison officer??? Signal officer??? Assistant lieutenant???

RW you obviously know your fair share about the Roman army but your terminology is way of the mark, along with all the little symbols you use, it does nothing more than confuse me.

Instead of Captain Senior, junior, lieutenant etc shouldn't you just use terms like centurion, optio etc??? i.e. the correct Roman name instead of a modern equivalent.

His understanding of roman organisation is also way short of the mark, because he consistently refers to it in modern terms. I actually think he's bluffing. His system of ranks is nothing like that quoted by recognised experts, and please note he refuses to answer if you challenge him on his sources. If he genuinely is a wargamer, then its likely he's used to blustering to sound clever, I've seen characters like that before in wargaming circles. In fact, RW could receive an apology in public from me without hesitation if only he'd actually be a little more honest about his research. Notice that he never ever admits to being wrong no matter what he posts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.jpg

-- Nephele

Notice that he never ever admits to being wrong no matter what he posts.

reply quoted from Roman Legions vs Medieval Armies

Jan 19 2007, 11:31 AM Post #48

(M. Scaevola @ Jan 18 2007, 09:11 PM)

Mortgarten, about 1,000 to 1,500 cavalry...Laupen, about 3,000-4,000 cavalry

i reply to him.

then i concedes i was wrong and never know that facts.

and it more pointed that infantry can really defeat cavalry.

Instead of Captain Senior, junior, lieutenant etc shouldn't you just use terms like centurion, optio etc??? i.e. the correct Roman name instead of a modern equivalent.

hastatus centurio prior the senior captain in the hastatus maniple,

who could command the hastatus posterior centuriae to move in front or back of their position.

hastatus centurio posteriorthe captain of hastatus posterior centuriae

tessessarius liason officer to the centuriae who give the watchword everyday,

any one who by-pass the word will be immediately investigated and punish if found guilty

bucinator the signal officer of the centuriae who give the sounding of command.

and

3 assistant or lieutenant for each centuriae

1.optio, an executive officer next in position to the centurion

2.duplicarius, 1st lt. commanded the right hand side platoon

3.triplicarius, 2nd lt. commanded the left hand side platoon

along with all the little symbols you use,

symbol was use to represent hundreds or even thousands of soldier in easy to visualized formation.

visit the site URL: http://www.boardgameinventors.com

you could see a shortened modeling of the Roman legion there.

Edited by roman wargamer

I'm sorry folks, but this thread either never really hit the mark of it's point, or has lost it entirely.

If you guys wish to get back to discussing the levy of the legions, rather than going back and forth on modern vs. ancient terminology, please do so... but let's just try to focus on the subject at hand.