UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

My trip to Pompeii

Klingan

I have uploaded additional pictures on those pipes. Take a look at those and you'll see what I mean point by point!

Interesting photo; 4 pipes all of the same size running in approximately the same direction, but one crossing under and then over the others. Where it crosses over the first of the other two it is fractured around the girth of the pipe and water or effluvium of some kind leaked out for a period of time, unhindered by soil or lava flow.

If they were all buried underground at the time of the volcano's eruption, the silt from that leak would not have been deposited as it was; thinly in a downward direction then onto the pipe. If it was buried in soil the water and silt would have been absorbed into it creating more of a thick crusty "lump" than a very thin 'distillation' as it appears to have done. If the pipe was already buried at the time of the eruption how is that accounted for?

This is a main line. I now firmly believe that main lines were not, as I used to believe, one heavy pipe, but many smaller. Those may have had a diameter of around 5 cm. Unfortunatly it was impossible to determine exactly as they were unreachable.

If the pipes were never buried, the lead would've been taken by thieves long ago. (it suggests to me that upon excavating the pipe, water and some silt/effluvium drained out then.) Perhaps the pipe was even broken after excavation occured, and the silt deposit is recent. If the pipe was buried by the eruption, it seems the burial would

• 10 months later...
Nevermind photos... what about video!? When I search Google Video I can only find 2-3 minute videos of Pompeii; what's the matter with everyone? I took 30 minutes of video on my trip, but next time I plan to take at least 90 minutes worth of video.

Yes video is nice but you lose the details as the resolution is lower and the compression rate far higher. Not to mention how expensive a decent video camera is. There is also the problem of uploading videos, the only place I could imagine for that is youtube and I'm not quite sure about if that is where I want to share my Pompeii material.

Klingon, I quite enjoy pictures..

I like the option to just enjoy one for a while or flip through many,

Thanks a lot! It's always good to see that they are appreciated as it takes a lot of time to upload them. :)

Yes video is nice but you lose the details as the resolution is lower and the compression rate far higher.

I see video as a collection of photos--animated--and put into context. With video you will see all the roads and buildings you visited in sequence + catch them at different angles. You will get to know your way around Pompeii when you return home and reflect back on your holiday. Its perfect for nostalgia and further research, plus you have the added bonus of sound to help bring back the memories coupled with atmosphere. On the other hand, with photos, you will find that you very rarely need to zoom in on anything. When I got back home I had trouble figuring out which cross-roads one of my photos was taken at. Another thing, if you need to see a photo of any house or public building you can search Google or FlickR for, say, "House Of the Small Fountain", and you will get loads of photos come up, but seldom any footage. Best thing is take a combination of videos and photos, but in my experience, reserve the lion's share of memory for video. You will treasure your home videos more than photos--trust me.

There is also the problem of uploading videos, the only place I could imagine for that is youtube and I'm not quite sure about if that is where I want to share my Pompeii material.

What problem would you have against sharing your videos online? You shared your photos, right?

You will get to know your way around Pompeii when you return home and reflect back on your holiday. Its perfect for nostalgia and further research, plus you have the added bonus of sound to help bring back the memories coupled with atmosphere.

Perfect for further research how? And a blurry video will hardly make me more nostalgic than a good, clear photo. Knowing my way around Pompeii is no big problem either :blink:

On the other hand, with photos, you will find that you very rarely need to zoom in on anything.

I zoom in all the time. Most of the photos uploaded at my blog are cropped, some rather much. We are clearly not using pictures for the same cause - I don't see them as nostalgia but educational material.

When I got back home I had trouble figuring out which cross-roads one of my photos was taken at.

I have no such problems, but I have a good memory when it comes to pictures.

Another thing, if you need to see a photo of any house or public building you can search Google or FlickR for, say, "House Of the Small Fountain", and you will get loads of photos come up, but seldom any footage.

Trust me, good shots of sites can be very, very difficult to find when you need to use them at lectures. Pompeii is a well exploited site but try to find photos of say the elephant frescoes and it'll take a great deal of time - this is not even mentioning shots from obscure parts of the city as Porta di Nola. Now imagine less well known sites as the tombs of Blera?

There is also the problem of uploading videos, the only place I could imagine for that is youtube and I'm not quite sure about if that is where I want to share my Pompeii material.

What problem would you have against sharing your videos online? You shared your photos, right?

It would to begin with add another site to upload things too, I don't have the time to run around and upload things everywhere. Secondly, I would never upload a video from my camera as the quality is not to my satisfaction.

My friend, what camera do you have? I have a 5 megapixel Sony camera--due to be upgraded very soon--and the quality of the video is far from blurry. Just get yourself a 10mp camera with 16Gb Flash memory sticks and a long lasting battery (or two), and "Bob's your uncle" as we say in England! :blink: If you like I can upload a short sample from one of my Romano-British trips.

My friend, what camera do you have? I have a 5 megapixel Sony camera--due to be upgraded very soon--and the quality of the video is far from blurry. Just get yourself a 10mp camera with 16Gb Flash memory sticks and a long lasting battery (or two), and "Bob's your uncle" as we say in England! :) If you like I can upload a short sample from one of my Romano-British trips.

Well I have a 10 mpx camera, the problem is the light. Filming works fairly well at a cloudy day, not so much when the sun shines though, I actually took 5 short clips (the longest being 2 minutes). But I might add that I value quality in both my pictures and films, that might be what prevents me, as stated before, I would never post anything unless I was satisfied with it. I will howevere try again next time to see the effect, so thanks for the input! :)

I enjoyed all your slide shows. Thank you for posting. Going to Pompeii and Egypt are two things I want to do before I die - and I've been to Egypt (1994); so next is Rome and Pompeii.

Thanks a lot! It's much appreciated!

It's hard for me to explain how much I enjoy watching all this cool educational material so nicely posted by you.

Thx, K

Thanks to you too! :) I'm glad that the album come to good use!

I guess that you've already noticed but if you're interested in seeing what I'm up to right now you can look at my blog (http://ancientandold.blogspot.com/) where I post a few pictures from Rome every day.