UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caesar novus

Do floor mosaics have meaning?

I wonder whether Roman floor mosaics had symbolic meaning or was essentially decorative. I mean besides the banal "celebration of X" when you see picture of X, but something more philosophical or political such as you might find in renaissance art.

For some reason the braided border lines jump out to me as more intricate than needed for decorative whimsey. Of course I know their swastikas don't relate to 20th century meanings. Some of the mosaics seem almost ugly but still riveting somehow. Maybe some are a carryover or a contrast to other traditions like the Greek.

I think most of them that had meaning were religious in nature.

Then there were the floor mosaics in the bath houses (and I believe, some private villas) with amusing pictures of well-endowed slaves. ;) They were intended to dispel negativity (which they did, quite well, by inducing laughter.) The phallus was seen as a symbol of fortune because it...rose of it's own accord. :D

I wonder whether Roman floor mosaics had symbolic meaning or was essentially decorative. I mean besides the banal "celebration of X" when you see picture of X, but something more philosophical or political such as you might find in renaissance art.

I would say that it was essentially decorative, commonly with religious or daily motifs. A special meaning though? I wouldn't think so. The art I have in my room doesn't go very well with my religious views, it's purchased because I find it beautiful.

The phallus was seen as a symbol of fortune because it...rose of it's own accord. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure that the phallus was seen as a protection of the evil eye? There's a lot of literature on that subject.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure that the phallus was seen as a protection of the evil eye? There's a lot of literature on that subject.

I believe you're right about that. Though I know I've seen it equated(?) with fortune as well. Perhaps it had two meanings?

I believe you're right about that. Though I know I've seen it equated(?) with fortune as well. Perhaps it had two meanings?

Well good fortune and protection against evil would make sense to go hand in hand I guess. Sounds very much possible to me.

Some floor mosaics undoubtedly had meaning. Here is one of several in Pompeii, where the meaning was even written underneath in latin:

ibgr4h.jpg

Some floor mosaics undoubtedly had meaning. Here is one of several in Pompeii, where the meaning was even written underneath in latin:

Very true, I've got a photo of that mosaic in my album from my trip to Pompeii this summer. I would still argue though that most mosaics were made to be decorative.

Yes, they had meaning, but the exact meaning depends on the mosaic.

The works of John R. Clarke explore the social contexts of Roman art; I highly recommend his works.