UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why are there no Romance actors that play as Romans?

Emperor Goblinus

For the last few decades, Romans on screen have been repeatedly played by either British or American actors. While there have been some stellar performances by these actors, it's beginning to wear on me. Why can't we have moreactors from Romance language countries to play as Romans? Maybe I'm being too picky, and the general public probably doesn't care, but I think it would be nice to have some shows or movies about the Romans where the actors sound somewhat like the ancient Romans would have sounded. The only examples that I can think of are The Passion, some French show about Vercingetorix, and a brief drama on the History Channel. Does anyone else here agree with me?

I agree completely. Antonio Banderas would've made a better 'Spaniard' in the film Gladiator than Crowe, in my opinion.

Banderas turned down the role in Gladiator, I think.

What Decimus Caesar says is true, I reckon. Most (not all) movies go to please the lowest common denominator even the worthy ones. Think Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai" - he was supposed to fall on his metaphoric sword in the end, but the preview audience went mad that Tom got killed, so now we have a rubbish end to a brilliant movie - how much better would that film have been with the original ending.

So, I don't think a test audience from Akron or Delaware would sit still for a film laced with funny accents. It's almost accepted that films that depict a classical setting are played with English accents...in fact, if I recal there was a minor controversy when Bruce Willis was rumoured to be up for the Leonidas role in one of the "300" iterations beacuse people feared that he would not put on a faux English speaking voice. Kind of like John Wayne saying that "that man was the son of god" I guess.

Its daft, but there you are.

Cheers

Russ

I totally agree but the plain and simple fact is that big names sell movies. A historical movie with say Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc starring is going to get much more hype and media attention therefore generating many more gazzillion pounds than have some unknown whether he fits the bill perfectly or not take the starring role.

At the end of the day pounds/dollars takes precedence over historical fact/accuracy, sad but true.

But I must take my hat off to Colin Farrells portrayal of Alexander, simply breath taking...........................NOT!!!!!!!!!

I fully believe that this whole tradition of having English actors play classical roles stems from the overwhelming influence of William Shakespeare on English-speaking drama. That, my dear old mates, is the answer, pure and simple. For so long Shakespearean actors were held as the yardstick by which all others were measured - at least in England - and along with the Shakespearean repertory went all the other Classics, such as English versions of the Greek masterpieces and Ibsen, Chekhov and the like. But Bill was the Daddy of 'em all, as far as drama is concerned.

It's all very silly, of course, but I still cringe slightly when I hear an American accent speaking the Bard. This does come from the sheer 'Englishness' of Shakespeare. He's ours, therefore ye shall all speak with English accents. I am sure I would have a totally different perspective on things were I any other nationality than English, and if I were not such a live theatre fan.

When it comes to films made today, it shouldn't matter, of course, but a sad fact remains that some actors are created more equal than others.... :) Having said that - I have seen many wonderful European films. The French and the Italians tend to produce very high quality work for the most part, and have achieved a classicism all of their own. But it is the same with all nations - good and bad actors are produced. I am far more insulted by bad acting than a 'wrong' accent these days. And I must say, I was quite taken with Denzil Washington's performance in 'Much ado about Nothing', and I thought Kline did a reasonable job as Bottom in 'Dream' - although Pfeiffer was dreadful.

But back to Romans - as long as the actor can convey the gravitas of the ancient Romans, I'm not too worried what accent they have.

hy can't we have moreactors from Romance language countries to play as Romans? Maybe I'm being too picky, and the general public probably doesn't care, but I think it would be nice to have some shows or movies about the Romans where the actors sound somewhat like the ancient Romans would have sounded. The only examples that I can think of are The Passion, some French show about Vercingetorix, and a brief drama on the History Channel. Does anyone else here agree with me?

Well I would prefer that they kept the British accent, I agree with The Augusta to a great deal, unless they take the full step and go or a film in full Latin (Then preferably with actors from Romance language countries) which would be terrific.

• 1 year later...