UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Picture of the day.

Klingan

As I have very few visitors in the album (and as it is very tiresome to upload the pics at two places) you'll find them at my blog today , http://ancientandold.blogspot.com/.

Klingan

The pictures so far have been fantastic, they look even better on your blog page, nice work :thumbsup:

If you do find the time though, please do continue to post them in the UNRV gallery as well, your pics have been a great addition so far.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to post today's pictures anyway in the end (might have something to do with the bar night and wine). Here we go, copy from my blog:

However if I'm late/off with the posting in the future just check my blog, it's easier to update. This double uploading is killing me :thumbsup:

gallery_1460_146_22617.jpg

Many have heard of them, few have actually seen them and the numbers of those who climb them are easily counted. May I presented the stairs of death. I'm sure they have a real name as well, probably something nice and religious but I tell you, it's a long walk up there. I've also decided that it was time for me to appear as some people found it curious that I never showed up myself. Here I am!

gallery_1460_146_246986.jpg

Italy got to get her own picture sooner or later.

gallery_1460_146_122037.jpg

Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele.

No that's not even the full name! What did they think of? And why the very white marble, a more yellow warmer tone would fit in much better with the imperial fora.

gallery_1460_146_115687.jpg

Column of Trajan.Nope, I'm not going to tell you anything about this one, if that makes you feel uncomfortable I suggest Google. This is a must know. ;)

gallery_1460_146_27424.jpg

Far down into the ground I find this hidden place with water dripping and long shadows. Beside this alley it also contained a reservoir that someone claim belonged to the Aqua Virgo. I'm not convinced.

I recommend the blog if you really want to see how the pictures should look ;)

By the way I will be gone to Etruria for a few days and and no more pictures will be posted before I return at Thursday.

gallery_1460_146_101550.jpg

Finally the Colosseum. I know that it's over rated, there's a million shots of it on the net and so on, but it still makes a great picture.

gallery_1460_146_172219.jpg

The Spanish stairs. I've had two pictures from the spot already without the stairs them self. Guess it was about time.

gallery_1460_146_273350.jpg

Forum Romanum. As I said yesterday about the column of Trajan, this is almost the same but on the other end. I won't say anything cause then I'd have to write a book.

gallery_1460_146_6432.jpg

The little that's left by the wall of between the forum of Augustus and Forum of Nerva.

gallery_1460_146_11601.jpg

Arch of Titus. Did you know that it was torn down and rebuilt stone by stone in the 19th century?

Edited by Klingan

I'm Ok, no worries :)

The pictures from Etruria can only e found at the blog for the time being. I will try to upload them here tomorrow if I get the time, it's quite many.

I'm Ok, no worries :)

The pictures from Etruria can only e found at the blog for the time being. I will try to upload them here tomorrow if I get the time, it's quite many.

The pictures just keep getting better Klingan, nice work mate :)

I especially like the picture of the Mithraeum, even in your picture it still has an air of mystery about it, but to have experienced it when it was still an underground temple would surely have been exhilarating and terrifying all at the same time.

P.S. glad your still in one piece after this weeks terrible disaster.

The pictures just keep getting better Klingan, nice work mate :)

I especially like the picture of the Mithraeum, even in your picture it still has an air of mystery about it, but to have experienced it when it was still an underground temple would surely have been exhilarating and terrifying all at the same time.

P.S. glad your still in one piece after this weeks terrible disaster.

Thanks for the comments!

About the Mithraeum, I was not sure on the interpretation at first as the remains were heavily restored but after taking a look at the finds it would seem to be correct.

The UNRV album is now updated, I'll see if I get time to post the pictures too later. We'll see :)

I am sorry that I have not uploaded any pictures here lately, I've just had very little time on my hands. They can still be found on the blog though and I plan on updating my album as soon as possible (most likely in about 2 weeks time) :)

Salvete Klingan et Omnes,

I just had a look at your pictures of the Palatine. They make me feel right back home where I belong. (Goose Bumps). Ahime ! I have been living in exile for far toooo long now.

I couldn't quite work out how to add my comments there in the Photo Gallery, so I'll post them here.

You wrote : 'This shot is taken from the hill into a large area in the ground. I don't know what it's been maybe someone can help me out?'

and 'Yet another picture of the mysterious hole in the ground.'

I think I can help you out with that.

It is nothing less than a private Circus or Race Course. Yes, they had their own chariot races inside the Palace grounds. Well, it is a long way across the street to the Circus Maximus even if you have a covered gangway to your own private loggia there. You don't always want to see or be seen by the unruly plebs and they don't always put on a show there when you feel like seeing one.

Most probably they also had a couple of gladiators slaughtered there when they got bored with the chariot races. I'm not sure which IMP CAES AVG COS TRIB POS exactly is responsible, but Heliogabalus later on had his own private Circus built just outside the walls to the South East of the city, in the Tiburtina area. The one in the Palatine was probably not big enough to his taste. But I couldn't get in there. I think it was not open to the public at the time.

Also, might interest you, there was either a circus or an amphitheater (forgot which) on the Vaticanus at the time and ... the present St Peter's Square (Oval, really) with its collonades is a perfect match for the Colloseum. And that's no coincidence.

You wrote : 'Again, a general view of the "hilltop". Those buildings are actually much larger then what they may seem here'

As Epikouros said : 'The sun is as large as it seems' :)

I'm not much of a picture-taking person myself, I just buy the postcards, so I have none to show you.

But I have written down some of my fonder memories of my visits to Rome on the SVR site.

Here's the link.

when in rome

Valete optime !

Salve Klingane Maxime,

Oh, You Lucky Man !

Great Picts.

I had some comments about that mysterious hole in the ground on the Palatine that might interest you.

Due to my inexperience here, they ended up in the Introduction Thread.

Have a gelati for all of us.

Evita Brevis

Ears Longa

Salve Klingane Maxime,

Oh, You Lucky Man !

Great Picts.

I had some comments about that mysterious hole in the ground on the Palatine that might interest you.

Due to my inexperience here, they ended up in the Introduction Thread.

Have a gelati for all of us.

Evita Brevis

Ears Longa

Hello, and welcome FV, it's good to have you here! I will answer your post in length once it's moved here, until then I feel that I could link you to the blog that this thread is about (unless you've found that as well!) http://ancientandold.blogspot.com/

About the hippodrome horti, I'm happy that you notice my question on it (I wish that someone would a long time ago :) ), but I have figured out what it was since I uploaded that shot too, the pictures in that album are about 3 years old. :D Thanks!

Edited by Klingan

You wrote : 'This shot is taken from the hill into a large area in the ground. I don't know what it's been maybe someone can help me out?'

and 'Yet another picture of the mysterious hole in the ground.'

I think I can help you out with that.

It is nothing less than a private Circus or Race Course. Yes, they had their own chariot races inside the Palace grounds. Well, it is a long way across the street to the Circus Maximus even if you have a covered gangway to your own private loggia there. You don't always want to see or be seen by the unruly plebs and they don't always put on a show there when you feel like seeing one.

Most probably they also had a couple of gladiators slaughtered there when they got bored with the chariot races. I'm not sure which IMP CAES AVG COS TRIB POS exactly is responsible, but Heliogabalus later on had his own private Circus built just outside the walls to the South East of the city, in the Tiburtina area. The one in the Palatine was probably not big enough to his taste. But I couldn't get in there. I think it was not open to the public at the time.

To begin with, thanks for the answer! I very much appreciate it!

Anyway I know nowadays (which I didn't know back when the photo was uploaded) that the place actually isn't a circus, it's a hippodrome horti constructed by Domitianus (dated by brick stamps), a peristyle made to look like a circus - the driving course is far to narrow for chariot races. About the smaller oval structure at the far end, it's a 5th century amphitheatre.

Also, might interest you, there was either a circus or an amphitheater (forgot which) on the Vaticanus at the time and ... the present St Peter's Square (Oval, really) with its collonades is a perfect match for the Colloseum. And that's no coincidence.

I know that there once was a circus but I've never heard about an amphitheatre. Do you know where I can read more about this?

You wrote : 'Again, a general view of the "hilltop". Those buildings are actually much larger then what they may seem here'

As Epikouros said : 'The sun is as large as it seems' :)

Great quotation!

I'm not much of a picture-taking person myself, I just buy the postcards, so I have none to show you.

But I have written down some of my fonder memories of my visits to Rome on the SVR site.

Here's the link.

when in rome

I was unfortunately unable to gain access to the site as my ip is permanently banned by some reason, which is very curious as I'm living at L

Great pictures!How long will you be staying in Rome, Klingan?

I don't know what the purpose of your visit is, but if you're interested I could post a list of archaeological sites in the Roman outskirts (including museums) some of them are really magnificent, yet sadly unknown to most visitors who come to Rome.