UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Religion

Iulius

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Primuspilus is right, if everyone has a religion, then why are there so many Atheist Webrings?

(Hail Thor) :)

Why are there so many Alein and UFO webrings, or transexual believers? Why does religion correlate to belief in a higher power, by default doesn't philosophy make the person their own higher power, with the ability to determine what is right and wrong? Imagine a society like that, oh wait for all practical purposes we do have a society like that.

P.S. Isn't Fafnir the adversary of Thor?

Religion correlates to believing in a higher being because... the dictionary says so. :)

By the way, i despise when people try and prove me wrong about Norse Mythology. I am an Asatru, i spend a good portion of my life serving my gods, and learning about them. Fafnir never had a direct relation with Thor... so please dont make things up about my religion, thank you.

EDIT: I said Hail Thor because Thor is a Norse god that most people are familiar with. Im closely tied with the god Fafnir, he is the one i chose to worship.

Why does religion correlate to belief in a higher power, by default doesn't philosophy make the person their own higher power, with the ability to determine what is right and wrong?

I suppose we are just talking semantics here, but I do maintain that my own personal philosophy is different from religion. And though I do have an inflated ego :D, I don't consider myself a 'higher power'. I suppose I can determine right and wrong based on that philosophy, but yet it is certainly influenced by the laws of the land, including traditions which are deeply rooted in some religious ethics. I don't see a problem with obeying a law, for example "Thou Shalt Not Kill", simply because I don't practice that faith, especially in this case where it is a law of both gods and men.

I'm sure we can go in circles on this sort of thing, but I'll always maintain that I am religion free... unless of course some miraculous event occurs which changes my mind. Hey, at least I'm open to the possibility of change. :)

We dont need religion to tell us the difference from right or wrong do we??? :) Maybe they did hundreds or thousands of years ago,but we dont now.I hope god does exist,but i certainly dont believe the bible or any other religion. Just be a good person dude :D L

primuspilus

i think not having a religion is kind of like having a religion, a crusade of sorts. is it not so much easier to believe in some Higher Power than spending time convincing astonished believers you have none at all ?

augustus

Why are there so many Alein and UFO webrings, or transexual believers?

does that mean alien and ufo believers, and transexuals are all atheists ? there seems to be a jump in logic.

i think not having a religion is kind of like having a religion, a crusade of sorts.

No not really, its not a 'crusade' for me, its just the way I feel. The only thing I advocate as a non-believer is that people who are, truly learn and practice their religions the way they were originally intended. Other than that, I have no personal concerns over whether or not anyone else believes. In fact, imagine this, I am actually a very strong supporter of conservative Christian values. I do believe in majority rule and tradition, and in the US we have a deep historical Christian foundation. I'm in favor of such things as nativity scenes on government property, the inclusion of "In God We Trust" on US money and other federal properties, 'Under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance, even the addition of the statue of the Ten Commandments in that courthouse in Alabama, among other things. I'm really just not a big fan of organized churches.

Weird huh?

is it not so much easier to believe in some Higher Power than spending time convincing astonished believers you have none at all ?

No, not really, I don't worry about convincing people. I honestly don't care. I'm only discussing the general topic here for the sake of discussion. If someone doesn't believe me, and I'm generally quite reserved about mentioning it (web anonymity is different though eh), then I just shrug and let them think whatever they want. Notice I don't talk about why I don't believe, or why others shouldn't. I don't like when people try to tell me what I should think, so I assume others wouldn't like me doing the same. If someone asks, I might go into detail if I get the feeling that it won't turn into an argument or something very uncomfortable. A discussion of ideas is generally very interesting and enlightening, I just hate to put someone in the awkward position of examining their own faith. Now in the case where someone really does start to think about what they believe in (as a result of a discussion like that), then their faith obviously wasn't very strong to begin with, but I'd still rather not be the one to put them in that position. Its something that people should search out on their own internally.

Ramble off :)

Why are there so many Alein and UFO webrings, or transexual believers?

does that mean alien and ufo believers, and transexuals are all atheists ? there seems to be a jump in logic.

Almost forgot... I don't know if all transexuals are atheist, but I can definately confirm that not all atheists are transexuals. At least I know of one for sure :)

primuspilus

those were said in jest, n i agree with you :

people who are, truly learn and practice their religions the way they were originally intended.

your comments about discussing religion are the same opinions i hold, fyi, n i'm a catholic. weird huh ?

Fafnir

don't back down now, this could be interesting *smiles*

• 3 weeks later...
Is religion bad for society?

Nope, in fact itis one of the things necessary for the formation of society, IMHO.

exactly!!!!!!! religon is one of the things that keeps the world from colapsing on itself and i also think that religon is an important part os society (like the quote says

• 2 weeks later...