UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Best Battle Scene

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

Just wondered what users thought was the best battle scene on film, or choices if more than one!

My selection is as follows:

1 The final battle in Spartacus

2 the opening battle in Troy

3 The opening battle in Gladiator

4 The opening battle in Saving Private Ryan

5 The final battle in above

i think the taking of the torrell (both scenes) in The Messenger: Story of Joan of Arc were really good seans...

also the opening to gladiator

the end scene in King Arthur

in Troy when the greeks attack the walls of troy for the first time and troy fights them back...

and all of the battle scenes in braverhart

Hmmm, I can't combine or compare non-modern battle scenes with modern....so I'll cheat a bit . <_<

Saving Private Ryan has many good scenes in it, but it still has a bit too much Hollywood...especially the Normandy fight. Very scary, chaotic and leaves a big impression...but ultimately it leaves me shaking my head. (Note: I'm not a combat vet so I have about as much to say about realism as the next clown. I'm just going off of my father's stories and sometimes very vivid descriptions of WWII fights. He was in the 101st from Market-Garden onward.)

Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good movie and I was grimly glad that someone finally was showing how modern weapons chop-up people, but it still comes across feeling a bit too propogandized. That being said, I still rate it in my top tier for battle scenes.

Also there: The house to house fighting in A Bridge Too Far and the seige in We Were Soldiers .

Now for non-modern wars-

The island fight in Glory and the sweeping shot of Antietam.

The Charge of the Scot's Greys in Waterloo .

The final battle in Heaven and Earth (the Japanese warlord movie, not the Tommy Lee Jones Vietnam one). I especially like seeing the fencing with pikes as two groups of spearmen meet.

Note I left out Gladiator, Braveheart, Troy, etc. because their fights were too disorganized and individual heavy. Colorful but not as enjoyable for me.

As always, IMHO.

That scene in "saving private ryhan" allthough not entirely accurate,opened our eyes to the horrors of modern(ish) warfare.Before that movie it was all grab your hart and fall to the ground crap,like in the John Wayne classics <_< .The opening scene on Gladiator was good but not long enougth.This might be a bit controvercial but i like the last battle in "Alexander",Elephants crashing into the phalanxes was sooo cool (how could u stop them) and i liked the way Alexander rode into the mass of indians chopping and slicing them up :lol::D:P L

Have to Agree about the Band Of Brothers, it was quite an exceptional story that for me never had that hollywood Tilt due to it being made for TV. Some of the Battle scenes were exceptional as was the way it allowed you to get attached to a Character through 4-5 eppisodes only to see them killed while manning a hole in Bastogne. Also the Interviews with the men involved in the 101st realy drove home what these men went through to free Europe and save Millions in the process. if you havent seen it do so asap and be gratefull.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest genjameswolfe

Just wondered what users thought was the best battle scene on film, or choices if more than one!

My selection is as follows:

1 The final battle in Spartacus

2 the opening battle in Troy

3 The opening battle in Gladiator

4 The opening battle in Saving Private Ryan

5 The final battle in above

The older Spartacus scene was good for then, but is now seen as outdated.