UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Shield Symbol

There doesn't seem to be any primary written evidence on the matter, but the eagle's wings and lightning bolts are generally assumed to be symbols of Jupiter.

hi btw

OK so why does the Legio II Augusta use the capricorn on their particular shield pattern. I think that each legion uses an emblem to represent their particular legion and this would be highly visible when fighting battles where several legions were participating.

Wasn't Jupiter's temple the one which had closed doors when Rome was at peace, and open doors when at war?

That's an interesting idea that the emblems represented the legion. I had only seen the winged shields for Romans, although some of them were different shapes. (could be my bad memory though)

I see. Janus was...all i can remember about him was "the two headed of doors"...one door looking forward and one looking backward in time (that was from my english class).

Yes, I think I remember reading about the Temple of Janus now that you mention it.