UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus Question

kevin37

Hi

This has probably been Asked quite a few times on Here. Sorry I have Not been on Here in a long time. I have been doing some searching on the Internet. I can not find out Where Julius Caesar Had a part in The downfall of Spartacus . Can anyone Please tell me or there a web site that someone Knows of that will tell me if this is True or not ? Thank you for any help on this.

This is an interesting question, but probably unanswerable.

There is nothing in any of the sources (Appian, Plutarch, Suetonius) that mention Caesar as participating in any way in the slave war of 73-71 BC.

However, Caesar was apparently elected military tribune (one of the 24 military tribunes elected by the people and assigned to the 4 consular legions) for 72 or 71 BC (Suet. Caes 5, Plut. Caes 5).   Gelzer (Caesar) and Broughton (Magistrates of the Roman Republic) disagree on the year.  If he was an elected military tribune for 72, it is difficult to see how he could have avoided service in the ill-fated campaign of the consuls L Gellius Poplicola and Cn Cornelius Lentullus Clodianus.   If he was Military Tribune in 71 he might well have participated in Crassus' campaign.

Gelzer says (pg 29): "We can no more than wonder whether, as military tribune,he had to take part in the slave war.

Edited by Pompieus