UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Do you wish we had guilds?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had guilds?

• Yes, they are so much better, and its a cool idea!
    • No, they are not worth it,

Do you ever wish that guilds were still active?

I think guilds were a so much better system then this mass production crap, I think we would have so much better quality stuff if we still had guilds.

What do you think? :o

Guilds were essentially pre-industrial factories.

Manufactoring is more efficient then crafting, but when soicety has catched up with our technological capabilities, I hope we'll return to a system of craftsmen. Crafting entire products instead of just assembling one single part gives allot more statisfaction. It would raise the spirits and make society allot less chilled.

It's all about passion for what you do, you know. :o

I voted yes,because i admire good quality work from craftsmen.But if Guilds were to come back into use everything would be so expensive, and what about unemployment issues?Mass production techniques knock out a lot of affordable crap but they allso allow for mass employment were as Guilds would highly train small numbers of people over a long period of time.

maybe i should of voted no :blink: ahh what the hell,i do like hand made objects :o

Well......everyone would become appreictices to a guild. There could be several in the field of "shoe making" or "Rootbeer brewing" So there would be hundreds of guilds in one field so their would be competition and lots of appreinticships avaliable, everyone would have a job.....people are denied jobs because they don't have any skill in anything in today's modern soceity. If we had guilds then people would have certain skills they could use in life insteand of being idiots. And things wouldn't fall apart and they would last longer. Small business instead of large coporations would control the goverment which I see as more fair and Democratic. Today the Corporations rule the goverment. Tommarow it could be the councils of hundreds of guilds and farmers that would rule the goverment if you really think about it in those terms. Hmmm this is an intresting idea, I should devolop it more about how the econmies of the future could be runned by guilds. Use Venice and Florenece as ideal Guild systems.

hmmmm (ponders) :o

Zeke

The idealistic side of me screams yes whilst the pragmatic side screams no. The romantic in me would like to see a return in guilds but I don't believe that it would be possible. Guilds were a great pre-industrial idea, unfortunately in this age of mass produced products I'm not sure whether they'd be successful. Mass production is more efficient and less expensive, the key idea in economics is trying to satisfy unlimited wants with only limited means. The most economically viable decision would appear to be that the mass production of products continues. At what cost though?

I've done nothing but further confuse myself. :huh:

The Western economy is rather post-industrial these days anyway, with much of the manufacturing lost to countries in the beginning stages of capitalism.

Most of us work in service sector jobs and may change professions several times in a lifetime. That sort of dynamic fluidity may not lend itself well to guilds.

The Romans had corporations and stock markets too, after a fashion. They aren't modern inventions. For that matter when corporations and international trade started re-developing in the 1400s and 1500s it was considered by many a substantial improvement over the stagnation of medieval society. It was an investment in something other than war and religion. The liberals of the time were an emerging capitalist class fighting against the reactionary forces of the landed aristocrats and the church.

A lot of people today frown on international corporate capitalism, but it seems to me whatever its faults it was more productive and liberating than what it replaced. Outside of America most religious conservatives - like fundamentalist Muslims, for instance - are opposed to international capitalism precisely because it doesn't allow for the type of fuedalist theocracy they want to build. It's why they crash planes into office buildings. Personally I'll take the corporations because they don't tell me what god to worship or what kind of sex I can't have.

Well, the courts are deciding what corporations can tell you to do in your personal life if you are an employee. :huh:

I think I would have to support small businesses, with goverment support. I don't think we really need to the corporations.

Though I think someone day I will invest in stocks, get rich fast or get in debt quick! :huh:

Zeke

Yes. Invest now. You must start investing now.

I'm getting up there in years (28) and have only recently started a 401(k). That's years of compound interest I have lost that I can never regain.

Don't do what I did and spend your post high school years trying to find yourself, or some other maudlin nonsense. Don't spend years trying to find god(s) or philosophy or the meaning of life or whatever. Throw that stuff away. You have to start woking, saving and investing now.

Don't be like me and be a late comer, continually kicking yoursef in the butt for wasting the best years of your life. If I could travel the country talking with high school students and raising social awareness about this, I would. But if I can save one person right here and now, it will be worth it.

Start investing now. A diversified investment portfolio will be your best friend in life.

Woa.....Ursus! Thats the most opinionated thing I have ever seen you type. Most of the time your like neutral on everything and anyalis the facts and then state a well written report.

I have already found the Gods.....I am not really worried about "Re-finding them" :huh: and the meaning of life isn't important just live it! So I am not going to waste my time on that Ursus.

But seriously Ursus....are you suggesting that I should invest in stocks? Right when I am out of highschool? Because you are oviously a very sussesful business men...or so it seems.

So I will heed you advice on that one.

Zeke

i dont have any stocks/shares but i do have 3 pension schemes so i can retire at 50 instead of 65,when i first started working (16)it seemed like a waist of money putting 15% of my wages into a pension but im so glad i done it now.

What age do the Americans retire??i bet its something like 45,lucky b*******.Lol

Yes. Invest now.  You must start investing now.

He's completely right. If you:

1) Always save some of your income and do what Ursus said. If you can't save even a little money, you are living beyond your means.

2) Only get 1 credit card and use it ONLY to develop credit. Meaning you have the money saved already and you send your payment at the time you make the purchase. Refer to #1!!! Always do #1!!

That will make things sooooooooo much easier for you. Before you get out of highschool you should find out all you can about how to manage your personal finances so that you can make a plan for yourself.

What age do the Americans retire??i bet its something like 45,lucky b*******.

I personally don't know any retired 45 year olds. I know many people who did not plan ahead and are older than 65 still working to earn their living.