UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
futurehistorian1

Why Did We Change

From the roman systym of death for punishment to having people say to abolish the death penalty, what changed us. Why in sports now do people just fight but not die what big thing happend to convince us that this was barbaric why i dont expect anyone to be able to answer this but it is weird.

I don't think the aformentioned things were barbaric at all. I actually think that if some things were still the way they used to be, our world would be much better.

i realy dont think its barbaric either and i feel kinda stupid for not realizing that it was christianity i quess i should have thought this through more sorry ill try not to make kid mistakes any more

A few decades of post-modern thought might actually be doing more to "deconstruct" certain values than 1700 years of institutionalized Christianity. Who knows. It remains to be seen.

Honestly the most ardent supporters of the death penalty I know tend to be religious conservatives (forgive thine enemy - unless he really offends you, then feel free to fry him!). The most ardent opponents of the death penalty I know are secular liberals with a post-modern bend (there are no universal absolutes, and yet the death penalty is still somehow *always* wrong!).

Sorry if that comes out a little more cynical than it should have.

Anyway, I have a toe somewhere in that weird twilight world of pagan anachronism. I don't go out looking for trouble, but if someone truly harmed someone or something I care about I'd be after hard veangeance. I don't quite share this "enlightened" view of forgiveness or no absolutes but universal peace. If someone murdered or raped my loved ones I'd be asking the State if I could be the one to throw the switch to the electric chair. Because that's just the kind of guy I am. *cue melodramatic music*

Bad news rape isnt a death penilty offense although i beleave it should be.

Any ways back to rome i realy screwd up this post and wish i hadent made it but i have learnd from my mistake and apologize for the kid question that i asked im realy sorry i feel stupid that i asked a question without first trying answering it myself

I don't think rape should be a death penatly thing at all. Because guys are just (Excuse my laungue) get really horny sometimes and they do really stupid stuff. So yeah rape shouldn't be an offense. Its primal urges...though it violates a woman's space I think that sometimes it is not the guy's fault. Its just his urges get the best of him.

I am sorry if thats kinda of offensive I hope you know what I am talking about lol.

Zeke

Yeah I suppose men do have urges, but they aren't beasts. Contrary to popular belief humans supposedly possess self control :D. Men and women for that matter are not completely driven by their urges, we all know what is right and what is wrong. Rape is a decision people make, I find it hard to believe that people have no control over it whatsoever.

Bad news rape isnt a death penilty offense although i beleave it should be.

Any ways back to rome i realy screwd up this post and wish i hadent made it but i have learnd from my mistake and apologize for the kid question that i asked im realy sorry i feel stupid that i asked a question without first trying  answering it myself

No you didn't screw it up.

The advent of Christianity wasn't the only force that ended the games. There were other societal forces at work, like the differences between Northern European and Mediterranean views of group versus individual power, the change in economy to support the arena, the inflow of other philosophical view points from the East, are just a few other things to consider.

Now the historyof the death penalty in the U.S. and Europe is complex and I think I will go into it later. See you then!

The death penalty for treason was still in use as late as the 1950s,in Great Britain at least.

I don't think rape should be a crime. They should change the name to "Surprise Sex".

Seriously, the death penalty in Rome was carried out relatively infrequently. When those in power are subject to the same laws as the rest of us (theoretically), the chances that capital punishment would be carried out decline!

I don't think rape should be a crime.  They should change the name to "Surprise Sex".

:):lol::lol:

Seriously though, the death penalty is all about vengeance and expediance.

No amont of social conditioning can change society, imho. Countless civilisations throughout history have proved this. They used to feed thieves to ravenous lions in Rome. They still chop peoples hands off in some parts of the world nowadays. Even an agonisingly slow death cannot stop homosexuals in the middle East from acting upon their natural imperatives.

Religion did stem the tide for a while there, but in today's society it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I don't want to sound too "1981", but genetic manipulation is the way forward, especially as the "sound of mind" tend to realise what a $h!tty world this can be and subsequently procreate less, whereas the dregs of society are the ones who spawn more offspring in their own image. It's a downward spiral I tells ya!

(rant over).

The death penalty is not a warning measure but a state's self-defense. Think about it a killer is locked up, not really a big deal to him, 3 meals a day and cable at tax payer's expense, certainly you cannot release him into general populace. The death penalty is a sure measure to ridding a threat to other members of a society

As to rape, rape is not about sex or horniness, it is about the execution of power over a weaker person (even 'date' rape to a limited degree), that is why gang members will hold gang rapes and why prisoners rape each other.