UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spurius

Bbc HBO Rome Series

The Independant article on the upcoming BBC production:

"Senators, slavery - and central heating. Every schoolboy knows that ancient Rome was the crucible of civilisation. But a steamy $100m TV epic is set to rewrite history. John Walsh reports "

This looks either very good, or very bad.

I'm kind of afraid... :whistling:

Have they been showing previews in the UK? The HBO version has been focusing on the apparant machinations of a particularly nasty sounding woman (though I'm afraid I forget her name at the moment, so I'm not even sure of her fictional/non fictional role in the story).

showed no previews yet :( apparantly its on in september :D

Well, I do hope they come up something better than Empire. I couldn't believe the scene where they brand Octavianus. Also, the attempt by Antony to kill him using snakes was laughable.

it looks good doesnt it!its not on untill september in Britain :( so please put spoiler alerts on forum posts :lol: thanks.Theres some fine British actors in it too ,Kenneth Cranham and James Purefey are especially good.I'll be interested to see if Kevin Mckidd can ditch his Scottish accent for the role,he'll allways be Sickboy to me :lol: (sickboy is a scottish hard nut in the movie Trainspotting).

Longbow

The Brits usually do a good job with this drama stuff. Land of Shakespeare, and all that. I'm looking forward to it. In retrospect it was overly optimistic to expect American network TV to do anything groundbreaking.

Yes I've seen 'The making of' and for the most part I was quite impressed. There are a few details that seemed strange (Caesar's face painted red) but I don't know the context of what they were trying to show. For the most part I am quite looking forward to this. The description of the set and costuming alone is worth the price of admission :)

Online advertisers have found a new home for promotions--the popular Mozilla Firefox Web browser.

Television cable channel HBO, via its interactive agency, has designed a downloadable "skin" for the Firefox Web browser in the custom theme of its upcoming series "Rome"--an 11-episode drama that charts the rise of an Italian empire. The skin, or "theme," as they are known in Firefox tools, transforms the buttons and external design of the browser into the feel of antiquity.

Representatives for Mozilla and HBO's agency, Deep Focus, said it is the first commercial theme developed for Firefox.

more at Zdnet

Theres no Rome theme in my Mozilla Browser yet :)

I watched the trailers for the series and it looks awesome,the Battle scene looked better than Gladiator <_<

Lucius Vorenus (and his scottish accent,lol,i knew he wouldnt be able to ditch it) shouted "Get back in Formation" and that Centurion THUMPED him, whats his game?deserves a flogging for that!

L

Wouldn't Caesar's face painted red have been his Triumph?

Yes, absolutely, I didn't even consider the possibility, but that make perfect sense.

I am truly encouraged by what I've seen so far... and the good news (assuming everything goes well) is that HBO has this clearly labelled as season 1. Providing there is some success, we should be looking at a continuing series.