UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fall Of Rome

bovismaximus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three reasons is quite limited, given the magnitude of the question you asking. But to answer it quickly i'd say:

1. Poor leadership and protocol on behalf of the Emperors

2. Barbarian incursion and incorporation within the Empire

3. Countless civil wars

Read The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

There are just so many (however many are closely tied in with one another), add...

Economic collapse

Religious collapse (the destruction of the pagan culture had a ripple effect that undermined the social order)

There are even some who blame lead poisoning

Hand in hand with barbarian incorporation is the barbarization of the Roman Legion. By the 5th century all traces of the army that conquered the western world had been replaced by what might as well be considered mercenary foreigners.

Civil wars, economic decline, and barbarian immigrations ... all of which reinforce each other in a vicious cycle.

I could also add a general statement: Imperial Overstretch. The costs of maintaining the empire began to outweigh the benefits, and only the richer and more defensible East survived intact. I think Imperial Overstretch is the grand cause of which the other three items I mentioned are manifest symptoms.

While I certainly agree that any plague or disease outbreak would have a detrimental effect on the ability of the Empire to withstand other pressures; I believe that the fall of the west was bound to happen within that general time frame anyway. While disease would certainly hasten matters, and cripple the potential for resistance, Rome as it was known in the early imperial period, in its prime size in the mid 2nd century, or even in the resurgance in the early 4th century, was gone.

I believe Hadrian caused the fall. By giving up and defending the empire. This would have given the tribes courage (wimpy) and Hadrian forgot 'the best defence is a good offence'.

Brutus also caused the fall by cutting short best generals life in history.

(DO NOT CONTRADICT ME, HE IS MY HERO) B)

<<<<<<Three reasons is quite limited, given the magnitude of the question you asking. But to answer it quickly i'd say:

1. Poor leadership and protocol on behalf of the Emperors

2. Barbarian incursion and incorporation within the Empire

3. Countless civil wars>>>>>>

I'll 2nd those.

Only add: Internal stability was always the weak under belly of Rome.

As Rome grew from a village to an Empire it became , by default, less Roman.

Hadrian for example; actually returned many of the earlier conquests back to the enemies of Rome. He did Not simply take a defensive posture.

I would have to say the number one weakness that caused the Fall of Rome.... No leader arose who would or could Hold what was Roman. Some men like Aurelius tryed.

regards,

• 2 weeks later...

1. Economic failure that was brought about by failures in tax policy and administrative corruption.

2. Civil wars that drained the manpower and financial resources of the government.

3. Pressure on the Germanic tribes to leave their lands as Asiatic tribes moved west. This resulted in massive migrations of Germanic tribesmen into Roman territory that simply would not have happened otherwise. For example, look at the movement of the Goths into the Balkans.

I still maintain the view that Hadrian ruined Rome with his attitude.

15250[/snapback]

Personally, I feel Hadrian's brilliance is that he understood the Augustan principals of defining and maintaining tenable borders. An army can still conduct punitive operations regardless of whether or not its actually occupies enemy territory. The ever expanding borders proved to be wildly problematic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do my fellow citizens think of Gibbons theory that the building of the Great Wall of China caused a cascading migration west of Central Asian peoples that pushed the Germans and Goths onto the decaying Roman Empire? Causing what Germans call Die Volkwanderung, the Wandering of the People?