UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice the cockatiels in the show? Most or all the birds in the cages in the latest episode were cockatiels. The only problem with that (I know this because I have one) is that they are Australian birds. It is extremely unlikely that anyone outside of Australia and New Zealand would have had one (much less many) in the ancient world.

I didn't know that they were Australian! I do know that exotic animals were all the rage in upper class Roman households, but I have no idea if the shipping lines went that far, I woudl think it unlikely.

Frateres!

I come from Rome post haste, -brilliant , at once accurate in thoughtful detail of Rome gone by and probably the best satire of English social class behaviour i have ever seen.I take nothing away from the programme as regards its understanding of social mores in Rome but someone is a genius,they have interpreted Roman power politics as a dynastic clash in either Jacobean or Georgian Britain. I will comment further when I have stopped roaring with appreciative laughter.

Salve!

and I would happily share a trench with our two main charachters

and very correct contact with use of shield and gladius -someone has done homework on that .

Glad you like it Pertinax. I found the first episode a bit stiff at first, since they were setting a lot of things up, but from episode two on it really hits it's stride.

As for Primus Pilus question: Speaking as someone in the industry, to the Hollywood players the UK is considered a soft media market. Too many of my British mates would rather nurse a pint a' lager than go to a movie or watch telly. I think it also depends on the domestic and international distribution deals made. Funny thing with this particular project is that it's a co-sponsor with the BBC. Usually when thats the case they see things before America, like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stories.

Funny thing with this particular project is that it's a co-sponsor with the BBC. Usually when thats the case they see things before America, like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stories.

Indeed, hence the question. No matter I suppose as everyone gets a chance eventually. I just hope this thread hasn't been too much of a spoiler for our Brit and other European visitors.

Funny thing with this particular project is that it's a co-sponsor with the BBC. Usually when thats the case they see things before America, like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stories.

Indeed, hence the question. No matter I suppose as everyone gets a chance eventually. I just hope this thread hasn't been too much of a spoiler for our Brit and other European visitors.

Nope, not for me at least. I have left this thread well alone until tonight.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm not entirely sure I liked the portrayal of Pompei though. Kind of pandered to the misconception that he was an idiot of some kind. Just my opinion, looking forward to next week though :)

Trajen's remark about Pompey is interesting because thats the very charachter I was wondering about -I think Kenneth Cranham is a good choice but it depends how he will play the role;Cranham can do floppy haired English academics and tough guy enforcers, his face looks like an old soldiers , seamed and lived in.Pompey we are lead to believe was popular enough but his manner was mocked as "mincing" by some.

Many other facets of the programme where excellent, it just so happens that its one of the best guides to English class attitudes I have ever seen transposed into a wholly believable antiquity, and that "Old World" was brought alive by the airing of those attitudes and manners. I know Mark Antony personally-he exists as the nephew of a friend, bright ,straight limbed ,charming, manipulative ,totally self centred and has lived a life of privelige. All the others were visible as of a particular class and attitude.

The sex scenes were cleverer than I thought -they showed sex as power politics and manipulation not just an on screen bonk.I would also single out some very deft little touches (which ill study again on replay) which gave excellent little moments of authenticity or acute observation-the overhead shot of the Legion's front line filtering seamlesley back to bring fresh men to the point of contact, and the strike with the shield and gladius blow:short , brutally neat and effective no flourishes back to ready posture : the scene where Pompeys prospective bride (the patrician widow) says it is not appropriate for her to be present given the presence of a lewd woman; and Octavians casually nasty slappping of a slave . Seeing al those thing I thougt -yes that could be how it was.

So far then im impressed.

Started to download episode 2,i should be able to watch it tonight :)

Its finally had a bit of media coverage over here,but its not getting aired until October!!!

Where can i download episodes from plz reply with web address

thx

"There were 80 complaints about it, many concerning the graphic sex and violence scenes shown just after the watershed."

Heh! That's quite a few :) . There were rather a lot of gratuitous sex scenes imo.

what no complaint about chopping the sacrificial animal up and rolling around in blood? I suppose our friend behind the tree :) with the shepherdess was gratuitously daft.

The scene where Vorenus and Pullo are riding to find the Eagle and talking about 'why Vorenus choose pullo to go along' was shortened on the British version for some reason :blink:i noticed another shortened scene but cant remember which one right now,i'll edit my post when i re watch the episode.

Rome on the BBC

Reading Rubicon alongside watching "Rome" is interesting-the pleb/patrician clash is nicely described and the show echoes the book in its reflection of social attitudes.

The more of "Rubicon" ive read and the more I look at HBO the more I see British class attitudes as a mirror of Roman society,or perhaps I should say attitudes from Victorian Britain echoing through till today ( and I dont presume to say they are "antiquated"). I dont suppose this should be any great surprise given the massive Imperial drive of the 19th Century but the Triumvirate seem more "modern" in many ways than contemporary actors on the political stage.Its not that this is a new revalation to me -standing at Vindolanda with short trousers on I felt the ghosts of the Legion and its followers to be immanent.

just musing, I think I will return and re-examine Gibbon