UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

I see from the Sunday Times that the first two episodes of HBO shown here in Britain are apparently a severe edit of the first three American episodes and that the director of these is very unhappy with the nature of the cuts-the "lost " material is mainly political wrangling. The cutting has been described as a shambles and compared to the mess that "Caligula" became-this sounds a bit strong to put it mildly ,Caligula was lousy anyway :lol: . Is there n uncut DVD set of the original American series available in the states?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see from the Sunday Times that the first two episodes of HBO shown here in Britain are apparently a severe edit of the first three American episodes and that the director of these is very unhappy with the nature of the cuts-the "lost " material is mainly political wrangling. The cutting has been described as a shambles and compared to the mess that "Caligula" became-this sounds a bit strong to put it mildly ,Caligula was lousy anyway :lol: . Is there n uncut DVD set of the original American series available in the states?

Not yet.

You can probably download the American episodes with bit torrent or another comparable program, though.

Hello my friends, I havn't been on this site in many days I feel ashamed of myself. :)

But either way I have not noticed this post about my favorite show and want to put my own insight into the HBO show Rome.

This is my opinion of the show:

Most of the history seems accurate enough and I love the drama they add to the show. I have to agree that the first episode was rather stiff and corney but yes, they were setting the exposition of the story. Everything has been quite intense and very intresting and I love watching the show.

The only problem is that their is almost no big battle scene which sucks!

My favorite character is Vorenus because I wish to be like him: honroable, proud, cynical and standing up for what I believe in. My second favorite character is his wife Niobe, because Niobe is my ideal woman. She is beautiful and her personality is exacly what I want in my wife.

My third favorite character is Mark Anthony because he is just such an as*hole and it somethig about him makes him very entertaining.

Well after seeing the newest epsidode: "Triumph" I am in a state of shock. I feel bad for Pullo because the slave that he freed didn't love him and then he goes and smashes the guy's head in and that made me really sad. The other really sad part was when Vercingetorix was getting stranggled by the Romans and then his body was thrown into a dump. Yet I was full of joy when his people came along and rescued his body from such a horrible fate. He was burned like every good king should be.

So here is my predictions.....of coarse the final episiode is going to be Caeser getting assassinated and I believe that Vorenus will go with Mark Anthony and Pullo will go with the Brutus/Cicero forces. But then they will be defeated and Pullo will escape and latter join with Octavian to battle Mark Anthony. Vorenus will think that as long as he stays with Mark Anthony that he will save the Republic but he will latter desert Mark Anthony for Octavian in the second season.

What does everyone else think....

sorry I havn't posted,

and sorry for spelling,

Zeke

Salve Citizens.

Thats scandalous that the BBC edited the first episodes. The politics is the fun part for our little family here. Interesting that Pertinax felt it mirrored the English class structure, as a New Yorker now working in LA I see the origins of the Mafia and the patronage system. All the smiles, string pulling and backstabbing, makes me feel I'm at a Hollywood negotiation! I have some questions for my learned comrades about the last US episode. If you are in Ol Blighty you may want to turn away now....

1) Why did Caesar wear red face paint (blood)?

2) Was Vercingetorix strangled in public like that? I thought it was done in private in the dungeons of the Mamertine.

3) Of what nation was Pullos' slave Irenie supposed to be? A Celt?

1) Why did Caesar wear red face paint (blood)?

It is supposed to be vermillion, but they sure made it look like blood in the show. All I remember was that they would paint the general's face red with vermillion for a truimph, and that they also painted the face of Jupiter's statue on some festival days the same way.

2) Was Vercingetorix strangled in public like that? I thought it was done in private in the dungeons of the Mamertine.

That is correct I think. It was done out of the public eye.

In the first Episode on American tv when Vorenus and Pullo had killed the Gauls who had Octavian and the Eagle,Pullo plunges his Gladius into the ground and says prayers to mars.That part of the scene was cut out on the British episode :) why?why?why?

My third favorite character is Mark Anthony because he is just such an as*hole and it somethig about him makes him very entertaining.

James Purefoy is doing an excellent job of portraying Anthony,he's a fine actor.

Yes, I enjoyed it thoroughly and I rather enjoy the way the plot is being set up. The scorned lover influencing her reluctant son along with the other 'Republican' faction members. Truly why not? We all know that history of the time was dictated by men, and a women having too much influence would've reflected poorly on the events at hand, in their minds of course. Its entirely possible that Servilia was a major leader of such a plot and that her name was effectively stricken for purely class and social reasons.

In the first Episode on American tv when Vorenus and Pullo had killed the Gauls who had Octavian and the Eagle,Pullo plunges his Gladius into the ground and says prayers to mars.That part of the scene was cut out on the British episode :blink: why?why?why?

Maybe the BBC doesn't want to offend the practicing Pagans in the audience?

I like the way Brutus is shaping up too. A descendent of great men, having had to live a hostage of his name. Sort of like the son of Gen Douglas MacArthur in Manchesters American Caesar. After his father won the Medal of Honor and was General of the Army, and his grandfather won the Medal of Honor and was General of the Army, as soon as he attained manhood he moved to Greenwich Village and changed his name.

That is correct I think. It was done out of the public eye.

Vercingetorix was strangled in the Tullianum, a subterranean chamber in the Carcer, accessible only by a hole through which he was lowered by the executioner who would have gone down and then strangled him. He was tired of living and was probably looking forward to it. Disgraced, defeated and paraded like an animal, a proud man like him must have had a hard time in captivity after being king to hundreds of thousands of warriors.

Caesar started to wear red -particularly red boots as a sign of "being kingly" .When he started turning up in his flamboyant footwear people started to get the hint about his ambitions, obviously an orchestrated move as Caeaser was best dressed loose belted dandy about town in his heyday.