UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

History Of Rome Is It Good For Beginners?

Denec

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

I know very little about Ancient Rome History. After watching the first two episodes of the new HBO series ROME, I am very interested to learn much more.

I saw this book on amazon and has great reviews, but was curious your thoughts? Or do you recommend another book for beginners?

Thanks

Absolutely.  Michael Grant was one of the world's foremost authorities on Rome (in my opinion).  I have said in many places on this forum that he also wrote in a style that is accessable and easily understood by a beginner. 

Grant is definately a good place to start.

14378[/snapback]

Ok thanks!

I cannot find it at barnes and noble guess it out of print, otherwise I would have physcially checked it out myself. I am going to order it from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

I saw this book on amazon and has great reviews, but was curious your thoughts?  Or do you recommend another book for beginners?

14373[/snapback]

I'll have to agree, Michael Grant is the best introductory writer for Rome. He's sort of the Bruce Catton [American Civil War historian] of Roman history; in other words a real popularizer of the era with a readable narrative style.

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Can also thanks to HBO for getting me interested.  Though I dont know how accurate HBO is portraying it.

14386[/snapback]

More accurate than any other mass media production I've ever seen. Rest assured, you will learn some real history from this show. It truly is that well done (so far) The problem is, as you say... without any previous knowledge to base it on, its hard to know when you might be seeing the real thing and whan you are seeing made for TV moments.

If you want an excellent crash course in Roman civilization, I recommend "Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome" by Adkins and Adkins.

14403[/snapback]

Thanks, I did order History of Rome, but looks like might take 2 weeks to get it since it is coming from the U.K.

So I if I can get this one at barnes and noble I will check it out.

Hi Denec and welcome to unrv.com! :P

a good start to get the history of rome known is our very own history section of unrv.com written by primuspilus

http://www.unrv.com/empire/roman-history.php

it is not finished yet but will give you a very good introduction up to Emperor Domition (we are constantly adding new pages) and will keep you busy for a while.... :)

regards

viggen

• 3 weeks later...

Now that you are sampling Michael Grant, I enjoyed his book From Alexander to Cleopatra, a history of the Successor Kings of the Hellenistic World. It's an area not usually covered in detail by modern scholars.

Now that you are sampling Michael Grant, I enjoyed his book From Alexander to Cleopatra, a history of the Successor Kings of the Hellenistic World. It's an area not usually covered in detail by modern scholars.

Thanks for the info.

I am more then halfway through up to where he describes Hadrian.

The book really picks up especially since I can relate a lot easier since I have been watching the HBO series.

In fact I have been having a hard time putting it down =)

I can see though this book is great for an overview but I am sure I am missing many details.

I was actually curious what book I should pick up next, there are so many. I will look into your recommendation.

Thanks

Well I finished the book already, I just could not put it down.

I found it very interesting what Micahel Grant's thoughts on the fall of Rome, and really there was no one particular reason, but a host of many which makes sense.

I am going to pick up this book as well recommended above by Ursus "Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome" by Adkins and Adkins.

I was looking for other MIchael Grant's books, but it seems many are really hard to get in the U.S. or out of print

I did see "World of Rome" by Grant, but I was in a rush to catch train yesterday and was not able to look through it has anyone read that? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Denec and welcome to unrv.com! :D

a good start to get the history of rome known is our very own history section of unrv.com written by primuspilus

http://www.unrv.com/empire/roman-history.php

it is not finished yet but will give you a very good introduction up to Emperor Domition (we are constantly adding new pages) and will keep you busy for a while.... :)

regards

viggen

I have been reading through this as well and thanks for the link and a geat resource.