UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pyramid Found - In The Heart Of Bosnia!

Am I missing something? Why is this such an astonishing discovery?

...maybe because it is astonishing that there were unknown people that made this massive building in the middle of europe and it was unnoticed until recently?

But the story says that the people were known, and even local villagers said this massive building was a pyramid.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the story says that the people were known, and even local villagers said this massive building was a pyramid.

...they are guessing right now, (not even clear if it is a pyramid) and well some locals was not what i meant by known..., known by the scientific public, thats what i meant (if it is true), if so, it is an astonishing find...

regards

viggen

What's the source for the age being 12,000 years ago? The Associated Press story never mentions this figure at all, just that it's older than 600 ce, which isn't saying much at all.

Several articles that I had read indicated that he mentioned at it was at least 12,000 years old. I can't seem to Google a direct quote other than in this article:

http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/001571.html

• 4 months later...

Bosnian town hopes to cash in on pyramid

Pyramid-mania has taken hold of this small Bosnian town as residents seek to cash in on claims by an archaeologist that it may host Europe's only ancient pyramid. "Our expectation are high. This could be our oil well," Vehab Halilovic, who has started carving pyramids on wooden souvenirs like flutes and pipes.

Osmanagic believes the hill was shaped by the Illyrian people, who inhabited the Balkan peninsula long before Slavic tribes conquered it around A.D. 600. Little is known about the Illyrians, but Osmanagic thinks they were more sophisticated than many experts have suggested.

full article at SeattlePi

Formal excavations at the Archeological park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun site will start in April and continue to October 2006.

A range of people with varied experience and skills are volunteering to support project at this exciting phase in its development.

Many of those volunteering, including skilled archaeologists from as far afield as Australia, see this as a real opportunity to be involved in the early stages of a project that could change how we view the history of Europe.

The Archeological park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun foundation is currently involved in preparing the site and logistics for the start of the excavations in the spring:

An entire village may need to be created to support the planned excavations. These will begin on each side of the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun and at the access to the plateau, with six separate areas due to be excavated. Tunnels will be mapped and security measures put in place.

The Foundation has requested support for the initial stages of the project, including materials, transport and food, as well as volunteers who can provide skills in excavation and tourism.

The second session of The Archaeological Park: The Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun Foundation's Board of Directors was held in Sarajevo. It was concluded that the works on excavation of the pyramids in Visoko will be the largest archaeological and geological project in Europe this year.

Thanks to the interest expressed by archaeologists worlwide, the Project teams have been established, gathering the leading experts in archaeology. The following archaeologists confirmed their participation in the expert teams: Mrs Grace Fegan, a leading Irish archaeologist, Mr Royce Richards, an experienced archaeologist from Australia, as well as archaeologists who graduated from the University of Insbruck (Austria), Glasgow (Scotland) and Ljubljana (Slovenia).

The international team will be joined by a Bosnian team of young archaeologists including Mr Sead Pilav, who graduated in Sweden, Ms Silvana Čobanov (graduated from Zadar University, Croatia) and Mr Sania Janković (graduated from Department of Archaeology, the Univeristy of Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro).

The following experts in geology will be in a joint expert team: dr Stjepan Ćorić, a member of a distinguished Geological Association from Austria, Nadija Nukić (Sarajevo), Mr Ibrica Repisti (Montenegro) and Mr Nedim Jukić from Tuzla (BiH).

It is envisaged that during the Project implementation cycle a permanent team will consist of over a hundred experts and excavation teams at Visočica and the surrounding excavation sites. A number of volunteers and enthusiasts will join them and work under the experts' supervision.

Updated progress reports in the current Project planning phase can be found at the Foundation's official web site www.piramidasunca.ba.

The Foundation's Board of Directors pointed out that all scientific results of the excavation will need to be validated by the Foundation's International Scientific Committee, which will gather the leading experts for pyramids from all over the world.

i agree with you in a way because it's very hard to get a conclusion, but for Osmanagic's record he worked for 15 years on Latin-American Pyramids. and

i don't think it's ridiculous. On the top of "Bosnian pyramid of Sun" was a temple, built by pre-Illyrians, people who lived, according to Osmanagić, 27,000 years ago.

Edited by Illryrian_king

those links that you gave me i need to go off topic a little bit, those are Serbians sites for the record and as you know the political issue between serbia and Bosnia and the war that happened there those are just Serbian Propaganda, same thing happened with Kosova there are orthodoks churches build durin 1900 and they claim that Kosova is Serbia. so i think you should not get to much into political issues let us keep the topic...

p.s

another news i think tomorow Samir Osmanagic is going to show to the media about the latest discoveries on Visoko ( bosnia ) , there some tunnels discovered but i think there will be more of that tomorow, i don't think this will change history at all, i think we will discover more about human civilisation.

those links that you gave me i need to go off topic a little bit, those are Serbians sites for the record and as you know the political issue between serbia and Bosnia and the war that happened there those are just Serbian Propaganda, same thing happened with Kosova there are orthodoks churches build durin 1900 and they claim that Kosova is Serbia. so i think you should not get to much into political issues let us keep the topic...

Of course its on topic. Its a counter viewpoint calling out this supposed archaeologist as a hack. Propoganda? Sure it might be, but its no more propoganda than the the notion of this pyramid in the first place.

Its funny how quick people are to hype up a claim like this when it somehow relates to them. There may or may not be a pyramid there, we don't know yet. But we do know things about the time period he claims that it was built. Let me give you a basic timeline -

22,000 years ago - the Last Glacial Maximum. Hunter-gatherers around the Sea of Galilee are flourishing.

14,700 - 12,800 years ago - abrupt global warming called the late glacial interstadial. Sedentism rises among the hunter-gatherers in Mesopotamia.

12,800 - 11,600 years ago - global cooling to ice age climate called the Younger Dryas. Cooler temperatures and drought initially destroy the sedentary way of life but spark the beginnings of agriculture in Mesopotamia.

11,600 - 10,500 years ago - a return to warmer and wetter climate which lasts to this day. The neolithic agricultural towns like Jericho are founded.

9,000 - 8,200 years ago - sedentary hunter-gatherers appear in the central Balkan peninsula, farming settlements appear in northern Greece.

5,000 years ago - Sumerians begin to form city-states in Mespotamia.

4,700 years ago - the oldest known Greek pyramid is constructed. It's about 3.5 meters high.

4,600 years ago - the first known Egyptian pyramid is constructed.

Now, tell me that this guy isn't fabricating a sensational claim to draw attention. I am highly suspicious of this whole thing considering current political turmoil of the area and the fact that everyone seems to have a political agenda.

Of course its on topic. Its a counter viewpoint calling out this supposed archaeologist as a hack. Propoganda? Sure it might be, but its no more propoganda than the the notion of this pyramid in the first place.

Guys, guys, guys these are step pyramids. :thumbsup: To this day we now know how to make these forms of them. The pyramids of Egypt can not be duplicated to this day. They are built in a 45 degree slope. Many pyramids have been found even in West Virginia. If you go to these place you'll notice steps leading up to the main entrance. In Egypt, they are built on a 45 degree angle with no enterance. They say the pyramids then were made with precise precision. They aligned them with the stars. There was this story that they built the pyramid, but it was not aligned with the star so they did it all over again. Egypt used to make step pyramids in the beginning, and actually under ground ones! Then they made the well known pyramids of Giza. In Bosnia there may be pyramids but they are step, not the ones we are usually accustomed to.

Guys, guys, guys these are step pyramids. :rolleyes: To this day we now know how to make these forms of them. The pyramids of Egypt can not be duplicated to this day. They are built in a 45 degree slope. Many pyramids have been found even in West Virginia. If you go to these place you'll notice steps leading up to the main entrance. In Egypt, they are built on a 45 degree angle with no enterance. They say the pyramids then were made with precise precision. They aligned them with the stars. There was this story that they built the pyramid, but it was not aligned with the star so they did it all over again. Egypt used to make step pyramids in the beginning, and actually under ground ones! Then they made the well known pyramids of Giza. In Bosnia there may be pyramids but they are step, not the ones we are usually accustomed to.

Where do you see any mentions of the pyramids of Giza? The one I made reference to was the step pyramid of Djoser near Memphis, about 62 meters tall. The point being discussed is the claimed age of 12,000 years ago.