UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Music And Brain Tangents

I'm interested to hear what kind of music people are listening to at this very moment? What is travelling through their stereos/earphones/walkmans/discmans/ipods?

Any suggestions for study music?

Any suggestions for music to dance alone in your bedroom to?*

I've been listening to Radiohead/Portishead/Bjork/Miles Davis/DJ Shadow/Pink Floyd too much of late. Need some new suggestions.

*Bedroom dancing can be any type, provided limbs are moving in some direction

dare I say it? King Crimson -Vroom Vroom

You must be familiar with Massive Attack? Some of the music I've been enjoying lately:

Red Sparowes

http://www.redsparowes.com/mp3s/Alone_and_unaware.mp3

Porcupine Tree

ISIS

Front Line Assembly

Opeth

Neurosis

early Delerium

Agalloch

Katatonia

DJ Sasha

Kyuss

Morgion

Quite a few of these are dark or heavy, so they may not be to your tastes.

If you are talking about music to listen to when studing, I advise Motzart, its been proven to make people think better (but not my spelling unforuntely) But, the people gave lists before if you just wanna dance to it and I agree with them that from your choice those would be good. Personaly I perfer classical, jazz, rag, and some rock.

Metal, rock, classic rock, pop, synth-pop, classical, new wave, dance, disco, and a bit of rap (but not much).

60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Particularly fond of; Blur, Iron Maiden, Testament, Depeche Mode, New Order, Alice Cooper, Vivaldi, the Beatles, Moody Blues, Daft Punk, Bee Gees and ELO.

As you can tell musically i'm completely all over the shop.

Favourite songs in no particular order;

1) Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale

2) The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail

3) Deep Purple - Fireball

4) Iron Maiden - Powerslave

5) Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence

6) Blur - Parklife

I guess it's what they call eclectic. I get real bored of having to stick with one genre for too long, i like to pick and mix and keep things fresh.

Loved the 60s music as a kid, really grooving on 80s at the moment. 70s will be the next big thing.

Oh and i love anything with violins or guitars, preferably both.

I have greater respect for bands/artists that can formulate their own sound. I'm not a fan of the frenzy of bands/singers all trying to sound the same. I'm particularly disheartened by modern music of this decade as it stands so far because they've all gone for the soul music style singing... you just can't escape it.

It's not that i don't like a bit of soul music every now and again, i just don't like it everywhere! :)

dare I say it? King Crimson -Vroom Vroom

My drum teacher always told me to listen to this, but I never got round to it (due to the fact that he told me to listen to a lot of things so there wasn't time for them all)!

Is it comparable to anything? Which CD is the best in your opinion?

I have greater respect for bands/artists that can formulate their own sound. I'm not a fan of the frenzy of bands/singers all trying to sound the same. I'm particularly disheartened by modern music of this decade as it stands so far because they've all gone for the soul music style singing... you just can't escape it.

I concur. What do you think has led to this? What has changed in the past years to make popular music so stagnant? It's terrible.

P.S. I also like most of your music selections, but who is Vivaldi? Classical?

Im currently giving these bands a lot of air time :)

Electric six

Gorillaz

Kasabian

Queens of the stone age

Green day

kings of leon

The Kaiser chiefs

Stereophonics

But the classics allso get as much airtime in our house :D

the doors

The Rolling stones

The band

The Cure

Blind melon

Nirvana

Led Zeppelin

The Stone roses

The Smiths

Van Morrison

But the classics allso get as much airtime in our house

the doors

The Rolling stones

The band

The Cure

Blind melon

Nirvana

Led Zeppelin

The Stone roses

The Smiths

Van Morrison

I'm definately into the classics too. Can't stop listening to the Smiths lately. Do you know:

The Pixies

Joy Division

The only group I haven't heard of is 'The Band.' What are they like?

'The band' are a group from the 70's,you may of heard the song 'The weight' ,i love that song :)

Theres a good documentery dvd by martin scorsese called 'The last waltz'.

I have heard of the 'pixies' and 'joy division',Ian curtis was a troubled soul, that was good for his music but not so good for him,such a shame he killed himself at such a young age.If you like 'joy division' do you allso like 'new order'?

New order

atm im listening to "shake it off" by mariah carey. Before that it was hard-fi (cctv), and before that Ian Brown (Solarized)