UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome's Greatest Legacy To The Modern World

M. Porcius Cato

Rome's Greatest Legacy  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What was Rome's broadest and most beneficial influence on the modern world?

• Roman Architecture & Engineering
    • Roman Arts, Literature, & Philosophy
    • Roman Law
    • Roman Religion
    • Roman Warcraft
    • Other

The Celts might argue that one has to write down everything to be considered a civilization.

Indeed. But perhaps we should stick to the point. I must agree with pyro, literature is highly important becuase it tells us about the past. Think about how much harder it would be to elarn about some one if they didn't right it down. We could know wat the different things were for, but peicing the puzzle together would be an enigma.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that the Engineering and architecture is easily there greatest contribution to the modern world. Some of the Romans roads still exist today in North Africa from what ive read, these roads are almost 2000 years old. Also the romans aqueducts, baths, and sewage systems where far greater then anything that the Germanic Kingdoms who formed todays modern nations had.

After engineering would have to be law and government, the romans ability to absorb different cultures into there own and the ability to govern these cultures for as long as they did is a great achievement.

• 1 year later...

I voted for religion. Christianity, in its definitive form and in the form it is practiced today, was not only a product of the Roman Empire, but continues to be a unifying force to this day.

I would say that it's quite wrong to pick one of those as the one who left the "Greatest Legacy" since they in some ways need each other to flourish. A lawyer would probably say the law without hesitation, and a deeply spiritual Christian would say religion. For me it would seem that this turns out to a poll of interest.

Rome and the ancient world in all have left us a great legacy, no doubt, but not as one single subject here and there but it all together.

I would say that it's quite wrong to pick one of those as the one who left the "Greatest Legacy" since they in some ways need each other to flourish. A lawyer would probably say the law without hesitation, and a deeply spiritual Christian would say religion. For me it would seem that this turns out to a poll of interest.

I think you underestimate the human capacity to be objective (or hate one's job!). At present, there are 9 votes for law and 9 for architecture. I doubt that that's due to there being 9 architects and 9 lawyers on the board. I'm neither an architect nor a lawyer (and I'd prefer to be an architect), yet I voted for the laws.

...For me it would seem that this turns out to a poll of interest.

To a point, perhaps. I agree with Cato that many people will be exercising great objectivity here. For myself, I am by no means a fan of Christianity, but no one can deny that it is an immense and enduring legacy of the Roman Empire. I find it amazing that the Catholic Church, organised and set up by the Romans, using Latin as its administrative language, is with us today.

Edited by Northern Neil

Capitalism......in it's modern form at leaset, can be said to be a Roman system. Capitalism was the means of securing the formation of the early Republic and was the reason for the Fall of that Republic, once that system of fair distribution was reduced to the view over the whole citizenry.Difficult to balance a system of fair play. Christianity is certainly a great movement of idealism, that was given a huge boost by some of the Roman leadership , but this ideology had it's roots not in Rome. The Papacy has put it's seat in Rome since Peter , and has held a great place in the ideas of morality to man but this faith is an almagamation. I think it could be reasonably said: Rome brought civilization to a warring world , did this better than most, though often by the sword not through it's means of civilization building, even though these skills were great. The Roman Empire was truly, in it's day, the Glory, the shinning star, so to speak, of an advancing human race.

I Vote for All of the Above.

regards,

It's a tough one between Roman law and architecture and engineering but it's going to have to be................. architecture and engineering!

You just have to take a look at some of the structures still standing today, pretty amazing, concrete for a start totally revolutionized the whole art of building and construction, then you've got the aqueducts, the expertise needed not just in building them but actually making them work as well is outstanding.

The people of today owe a hell of a lot to the architects and engineers of ancient Rome.

definitely architecture and engineering, I can't explain what I feel when I go to Segovia and see that impressive aqueduct passing through the city and know that still works today as it did XIX centuries ago, the same when I go to Seville(Italica) or M

Edited by Traianus