UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

LOL

Doctor Who began in 1963, Pertinax, with William Hartnell as the first doctor. If you go this site: http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/tv.html, it will show the chronology of the episodes.

And I'm still trying to decipher Tobias' new sig. I guess you have to be an Aussie.

I'm thinking of getting a new one, this one is a tad long. It's meant to be in poem form, which is why it may not make sense. I've also cut a few lines out, otherwise the poem would be far too long.

But i like Patterson's point of view :)

If you want a translation, i'm sure my fellow Aussies will help :P

Edited by Tobias

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be really scared-I saw the first episode! An unearthly child?

Here in Australia, the ABC has recently started rebroadcasting the entire series. Well, when i say recently, it started a little while back, because we're in the era of the 6th doctor now. That's how i got into Doctor Who-i finally discovered what it was :P

Edited by Tobias

My Avatar is a picture of a character that i've really gotten into lately; Doctor Who. The picture is of the Sixth Incarnation of the Doctor, acted by Colin Baker.

My signature is a quote from Horace, who's words i greatly admire.

For a few days I assumed it was a Hobbit. :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, i've changed mine as well; i got sick of Banjo Patterson and looked through my little book entitled "Treasury of Quotations", and found this current one by Rudyard Kipling; i feel it's a pretty good quote :P

And for my new Avatar, i've gone back three Doctors to the third doctor, acted by Jon Pertwee.

Edited by Tobias

My avatar is Captain Murphy while he's singing "What Do We Do With A Drunken Sailor" after he's been trapped under the Be Bop Cola machine (the image is rotated 90 degrees) and addicted to scorpion venom for a while (hence the stings on his face). His teeth have been knocked out by cans shooting out of the fallen machine and subesquently collected for a necklace by a 'rescue toaster'.

His teeth have been knocked out by cans shooting out of the fallen machine and subesquently collected for a necklace by a 'rescue toaster'.

Abd that 'rescue toaster' for those of you nostalgia fans.. is actually the little robot from the movie 'The Black Hole'. I think his name in that movie was, appropriately for this forum, Maximillian. See how everything comes full circle back to Rome around here :P

My avatar is that of Otho. I think that he would have been a good emperor if he hadn't been beaten by Vitellius.

Of Otho? How, that pic there is part of the statues of the Tetrachy....

Mine is simple... Stewie from Family Guy mixing a good drink and getting wasted on the 'sauce'...

Singatures... well... awesome phrases I love...

My Avatar is a picture of a character that i've really gotten into lately; Doctor Who. The picture is of the Sixth Incarnation of the Doctor, acted by Colin Baker.

My signature is a quote from Horace, who's words i greatly admire.

Tobias, I hate to spoil your illusions, but your picture is of the Third Incarnation (we think) -- anyway it's of Jon Pertwee, definitely not Colin Baker.

I think Jon Pertwee was one of the good doctors, incidentally

Tobias, I hate to spoil your illusions, but your picture is of the Third Incarnation (we think) -- anyway it's of Jon Pertwee, definitely not Colin Baker.

AD is correct here but I believe Tobias at the time he posted that had a different Dr. Who avatar in use(?)

I'm still partial to Tom Baker because I watched the most of his incarnation. Furthermore, Douglas Adams was on the writing staff during that period... You can't loose with that! (the Cricket Robots from Adam's 'Life, the Universe & Everything' got their debut on Dr. Who!)

I realize that since I originally posted in this thread my sig has change. Before it changes again I just want to say that Aristophanes' 'Birds' is quite hilarious and I recommend it for a good, sacreligious chuckle. My sig comes from the part where Pisthetaerus is telling the birds that everybody will start worshiping them over the gods and explains how sacrifices will change accordingly when honoring them... I still chuckle when I think of that exchange.

I wanted to use one of the more lascivious quotes like Pisthestaerus' comment when he first sees Epops' daughter Procne but decided against it... :D

-or-

Pisthetaerus: Not I, by Apollo, unless they agree with me as the little ape of an armorer agreed with his wife, not to bite me, nor pull me by the balls, nor shove things into my . . .

Euelpides: You mean this? (Bending over pointing at his rear end)

Pisthetaerus: No, I mean my eyes...

Edited by Pantagathus