UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why did you choose the current avatars and signatures that you have? For me, the avatar is just something I found when I Googled "emperor avatars." It's dark and mysterious and is reminiscient of Star Wars' Palpatine, but not too blatant. As for the signature, this famous picture of Justinian was in my 10th grade Western Civ textbook, when I first became interested in Roman history. The quote is what Justinian alledgedly said when he saw the inside of the completed Hagia Sophia.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My avatar is a bust of Cicero framed by a Golden Luarel Wreath. I've always admired Cicero's great rise from his humble beginnings and what a great Roman Advocate he was. I also greatly admire his devotion to democracy and traditional, stern Republican values and he resisted the debuachery and over-indulging life styles of the late Republic. All in all I see him very much as a symbol for democracy, tradition, and having high values that one wouldn't let quaver.

The luarel wreath symbolizes greatness and power, somethign long sought after and the Luarel also represents the Empire that Cicero so valiantly fought to keep from happening.

I made both my avatar and my sig bar, my old sig said AVE CAESAR! ROMA VICTOR! in red letters and I'm thinking of putting that back in there along with the "I fight not for the hatred of my enemies, but for the love of my cause" that was also in there.

I really don't have a reason for the horse avatar other than I like horses and it works well with the small size. The sig bar is kind of an explaination for my username.

My sig is explained here-

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2645

I like your sig a lot, Justinian is one of my favourite Emperors by far. I think he's highly underrated, possibly because he was Eastern, or maybe because of his place in history (toward's the back end of the Empire).

edit/my avatar is Caligula. I admire his style, he really did have a lot.

Edited by Trajen

Ahh, a question I can answer.

My avatar comes from a bust of a legionaire. IMHO it doesn't glamorize, but it doesn't demonize either. It just says: I'm here, deal with it. (Kind of like Rome in her day...)

Also some people say it bears more than a bit of likeness to me, but I wear a full bead most of the time. ;)

My sig comes from a fun movie (Real Genius) an is related to the ancient world ;)

My avatar is an original painting by historical artist Chris Collingwood. His work is expensive but fabulous...

Military-Art.com

My sig is rather self explanatory even if its historical context is incorrect. The legions mostly used professional rowers rather than the overwhelming notion that most ships were rowed by galley slaves (thanks Ben Hur), but the general concept of the supremacy of the Caesars comes through quite clearly in the statement.

I did try Ernest Borgnine as Ragnor in the Vikings as my avatar-all that gorging and drinking ,(and bellowing) but it just didnt look right.The Secutor looked the part facing Longbow's Sutton Hoo helmet so I kept it . I do admire Pertinax himself but we have no features in commen and although very successful and an able leader he didnt last too long as Emperor.Panoramix the Druid is too old even for me. I did look for a full face version of the Sassanid Clibanarius mail aventail helmet, a personal favourite and of course traded into Scandanavia from Miklagaard, but no luck .

Julius Caesar.

"Caesar is watching you." Heheheh. The ever vigilant mod keeps track of who is naughty and who is nice. I could have been Santa Claus too, I suppose, but this is a Romanophile forum. Plus, I'm too cheap to give gifts even to the nice people.

Anyway, Caesar and Augustus are my heroes for a long list of reasons. I probably have more in common with Augustus than Caesar, but I found this icon after five minutes of searching google, and I'm sticking with it.

Previously I had used, for the longest time, avatars of temples, but It was time for a change.

My avatar is an original painting by historical artist Chris Collingwood. His work is expensive but fabulous...

Woah, as lost warrior said, I thought that was a PHOTO, what a great painter. Once I become rich (if I ever manage to) I will definatly decorate my halls with murals and mosiacs to that quality.

My avatar can be interpreted quite a few ways, but I don't care about that, I just like the way it looks.

The quote is Hunter Thompson.

Yes, it's a very strong simbol. It means as the eternity as connections between past, present and future as other philosophical things.

My avatar and my sig are the attributes of my roleplay community (RV).

My avatar comes from a marble wall carving of Odysseus {Ulysses} wearing his mariner's petasos (conical hat). There are countless reasons why I identify with the wily hero which I obviously won't recount here. ;)

My sig will change from time to time but I really like the one I'm using right now.