UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Henry VIII wore football boots

Viggen

Now thats a story! :)

The proof that the Tudor monarch played the beautiful game has been discovered by an academic at Southampton University. Textile expert Maria Hayward has found what could be the first ever specific reference to football boots.

The pair of boots, costing four shillings, were in an inventory of Henry VIII's clothes when he died. As part of a wardrobe that would have made Footballers' Wives look understated, Henry VIII possessed a pair of specially made boots for playing football.

full article at the BBC

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

did they specify what stage in his life he played the sport. Only because when he was older he got a tad over weight. I cannot really picture him running around a football pitch :P

• 7 months later...
did they specify what stage in his life he played the sport. Only because when he was older he got a tad over weight. I cannot really picture him running around a football pitch :hammer:

I guess when he was younger, allegedly quite a virile hunk then, but I can see him more as a real tennis and hunting afficianado rather than a renaissance Roy of the Rovers.

Those boots might not have been well used considering that owards the last few years of his life he was obese and suffered from ulcers on the legs. I wonder who got them in the end? His Son Edward perhaps?

Before Edward started losing his toes? :oops: