UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Many Languages Do You Know

I know its random, but I'm curious. So how many languages do you know? Also, if you had a chance, what languages would you want to take?

As of now I now three and next year gonna be four.

1) English

2) Latin

3) Vietnamese

4) Next year, I'm going to learn Ancient Greek

I'm young, so I still have more chances to take other languages. If I had a chance, I would also take Arameic

Being a true blue Aussie, i can speak fluent Australian :)

Also, a few years ago, when i entered high school, it was compulsory for us to take a language class. The language we learnt alternated with the year, and that year we were to study Indonesian. I picked up a smattering of Indonesian, and could probably ask my way if i ever got shipwrecked over there, a not impossible occurence considering how close Australia is to Indonesia ;)

I would love to learn latin, as well as either Egyptian, Greek or Turkish (one of those three)

Edited by Tobias

Besides my native Russian, I know German almost like native, some Spain, some English.

I may talk on Arabic but cannot write on it.

I study Latin, ancient German, ancient Greek and Gaellic.

...and French... damn it, lol

and bit of Zulu...

I have a wonderful very old textbook, don't know why it is in my home. Maybe I'll begin to learn it one day if can understand why it needs me. ;)

Excellent Command: English, Latin

Fair Command: Greek, Velodic

Novice Command: Old English, Korean

Still Learning: Hebrew, Aramaic, Coptic, Chinese

Want to Learn Still: Sanskrit, Early and Middle Egyptian, Sanskrit, Pali, Tamil, Akkadian, Sumerian, Hittite, Old Persian, perhaps some others

English

Italian--lived there six years when I was young. Kind of rusty now but it was my first language so I get up to speed quickly.

Russian--I took the military Defense Language course, seven--yes seven--hours of Russian classes a day M-F for ten months. Lived in Kiev and worked at the US Embassy--everyone in Kiev speaks Russian but the daily Ukrainian really screwed me up. Lived in St Pete's for a total for both of about a year, my fluency was at a moderate level. I've worked with Russian officials, industry representatives and tech types for the last four years as well, although we use very, very good interpreters I still tried to practice a bit.

In spite of this I forget a substantial portion of Russian within six weeks of not using it and need a while to get up to speed.

Lived in Kiev and worked at the US Embassy--everyone in Kiev speaks Russian but the daily Ukrainian really screwed me up.

In spite of the fact that Russian and Ukrainian languages are very similar I cannot understand Ukrainian except some international words so it's o'k. ;)

No, i am from Austria, but i lived 7 years in South Africa, so i had to learn Afrikaans and a bit of Zulu...

cheers

viggen

You must understand some of that 'dialect' of Afrikaans called Dutch I'd guess.