UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiator

Guest Scanderbeg

I have written a review for Gladiator (the Theatrical version). If anyone wants to look at it I could send it to the site, although It probably needs to be looked over and corrected first. I am not sure if it's adequate for the site.

Sending it to me via pm, :(

cheers

viggen

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go for it Antiochus!

Aha! Good news. Finally had time to rent the movie, watched it, and will write up a review within the next two days.

:furious:

which version have you got?

• 7 months later...

Don't anyone dare laugh - after 7 years I am finally taking the plunge to buy this movie today. I have a quiet night in tonight and am now curious enough to watch it. Hehe - I shall add my own little thoughts later. I'm telling myself that it can be no worse than 'Troy' or 'Alexander', and as it can now be picked up for

I'm telling myself that it can be no worse than 'Troy' or 'Alexander'

It is much better. Just be prepared to scoff at some of the 'Hollywoodization' of history and you should be entertained. Despite the twisted history I think Joaquin Phoenix is brilliantly creepy.

I'm telling myself that it can be no worse than 'Troy' or 'Alexander'

It is much better. Just be prepared to scoff at some of the 'Hollywoodization' of history and you should be entertained. Despite the twisted history I think Joaquin Phoenix is brilliantly creepy.

Well - knock me down with a feather! I really enjoyed that! I've just finished watching with my son and I actually had a little weep at the end there.... Somehow, purely because the history was so messed up in this film, all disbelief was suspended so that just the story and the entertainment came through. I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. I even wanted Maximus to kill Commodus in the arena. I'm not the biggest Russell Crowe fan in the world, but I had to take my hat off to him in this. I also liked Connie Nielson's performance very much. Nicely understated. I take it she was a sort of merging with Marcia? As for old Leaf - or whatever it is he's calling himself these days - I think he got better as the film went on, as though he grew into his role. As you say, PP, he was brilliantly creepy. Yes - all in all - an enjoyable couple of hours. I'll certainly watch it again.

I only had one little giggle - and that was with poor Richard Harris. I couldn't help thinking that Wart had turned into Merlin with a bit of Dumbledore thrown in. He wasn't my idea of a Marcus Aurelius, but even so, this didn't detract from my enjoyment.

I just have one final comment on 'Gladiator'. This is about the score. I don't know whether there are any Wagner fans/experts on the Forum, but the entrance of Commodus into Rome was filmed to background music that was a pure rip-off of the opening of Das Rheingold - especially the opening E flat motif which symbolises the river all through the Ring Cycle. It was glaringly obvious to me - and I wonder if it was a definite bit of plagiarism on behalf of the composers (Zimmer/Gerrard)? Anyone else pick up on this? If you know the story of Wagner's Ring Cycle, the music placed at this point was extremely fitting.

I just have one final comment on 'Gladiator'. This is about the score. I don't know whether there are any Wagner fans/experts on the Forum, but the entrance of Commodus into Rome was filmed to background music that was a pure rip-off of the opening of Das Rheingold - especially the opening E flat motif which symbolises the river all through the Ring Cycle. It was glaringly obvious to me - and I wonder if it was a definite bit of plagiarism on behalf of the composers (Zimmer/Gerrard)? Anyone else pick up on this? If you know the story of Wagner's Ring Cycle, the music placed at this point was extremely fitting.

There is also some cunningly slowed down and re-hashed Orff in there as well, plus a recapitualtion of elemnets from the soundtrack of Das Boot.

I think the entire soundtrack is rather Wagnerian...

It's hard to get the full effect in these sample tracks, but it's a quick way to get the feel for it.

I didn't really recall the Orff similarity though? Anyone else?

(Speaking of Orff.. the scene in Excalibur with "O Fortuna" and the revival of Arthur leading up to the battle with Mordred has always had the effect of making me want to run out and slay someone in pitched battle. :) )

Well, I must say The Augusta that I am surprised it has taken this long for you to watch it. I saw it at the cinema, thought it was very good. I then bought the DVD and have watched it about 40 odd times. The film is fantastic. I don't care too much about liberties taken because it doesn't alter the real history. Russell Crowe was superb, Pheonix awesome, Nielsen brilliant, Harris excellent!! But the biggest surprise for me was Oliver Reed. He was outstanding. Not a great actor in my eyes before this because of his behaviour etc but this made him for me. Absolutely superb. When he was describing the Colosseum to Maximus it was a joy to watch. What a loss it was when he died while the film was being shot....

The soundtrack has to be one of the best pieces ever released. If you have the DVD plese watch the second one where Hans Zimmer DOES say that he used different pieces deliberately and just twisted them about a bit. So no cause there to have a go!! I also have the second CD where certain scenes are spoken throughout the soundtrack and while not to everyone's taste it is still very good.

Another soundtrack some may not even know about but is on a par with this and could arguably be even better is the music from the PC game Rome : Total War. This is an outstanding piece of work and those who like their music like Gladiator will love this. It may still be available although it was ordered only through the Total War site. I can always 'sort this out' for you if wanted. Anyway, there are 33 tracks to it and it is extremely good listening. The last track is awesome!!!

The soundtrack has to be one of the best pieces ever released. If you have the DVD plese watch the second one where Hans Zimmer DOES say that he used different pieces deliberately and just twisted them about a bit. So no cause there to have a go!! I also have the second CD where certain scenes are spoken throughout the soundtrack and while not to everyone's taste it is still very good.

Another soundtrack some may not even know about but is on a par with this and could arguably be even better is the music from the PC game Rome : Total War. This is an outstanding piece of work and those who like their music like Gladiator will love this. It may still be available although it was ordered only through the Total War site. I can always 'sort this out' for you if wanted. Anyway, there are 33 tracks to it and it is extremely good listening. The last track is awesome!!!

Hey, AC - no 'go' intended at all! As I said, the story of Das Rheingold and the entire cycle proved to me that if Zimmer had intended to plagiarise (I mean it nicely) then he had certainly given it some deep thought. The Rhine's leitmotif is used to symbolise the river that is the seat of wealth (the Rheingold) and, through wealth, power (i.e. the Ring). I thought that it was a perfect choice as a motif for Rome of the early 3rd century too. Unfortunately, I do not have the 2 DVD set, so I can't avail myself of Zimmer's commentary on his score, which is a pity.

As for Rome: Total War - my son has just inherited a new computer from a generous friend and he is installing the game as we speak, so I will be able to hear that for myself soon!

Hey, AC - no 'go' intended at all! As I said, the story of Das Rheingold and the entire cycle proved to me that if Zimmer had intended to plagiarise (I mean it nicely) then he had certainly given it some deep thought. The Rhine's leitmotif is used to symbolise the river that is the seat of wealth (the Rheingold) and, through wealth, power (i.e. the Ring). I thought that it was a perfect choice as a motif for Rome of the early 3rd century too. Unfortunately, I do not have the 2 DVD set, so I can't avail myself of Zimmer's commentary on his score, which is a pity.

As for Rome: Total War - my son has just inherited a new computer from a generous friend and he is installing the game as we speak, so I will be able to hear that for myself soon!

I knew you meant it all nicely Augusta!! The music from Rome: Total War is a really beautiful soundrack. I love the vocals and, of course, the whole thing does sound 'Roman'!! Whatever that may be!!! You will be pleasantly surprised I think when you hear some of it. Not all the music is in the game of course but a lot of it was actually used on Time Commanders!! Rememeber that? The graphics engine for that show was from the Total War game engine.