UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Nuntii Latini

link to Nuntii Latini this one is by a Finnish Radio Group

Well for those that really want to learn, this is a site where the news is in Latin. Look for the link Recitatio and in your Real player, the news would is said in Latin, quite cool. So far, I'm able to understand like 70%+ of it when listening and reading it. You should look at the forum they have, all the conversation is in Latin, though its not complicated once you get use to writing in Latin. IT all matters about your knowledge of vocabulary.

Another site This one is the same as Nuntii Latini but a little dif, but its by a German Radio Group.

Note: the news may seem a little old and mostly about Europa. I prefer Nuntii Latii because they pronounce the words so much more clearly and better.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Those are two fine links Flavius,

funny enough i prefer the german one, probably because the accent is closer to my heart :)

cheers

viggen

That's very interesting Flavius Valerius Constantinus. I wouldn't mind hearing such things, because (don't laugh) i've never actually heard someone speaking latin :)

what a strange pronunciation =) it's nice to see that someone bothers to keep latin "alive". I remember Totus tuus had something like this..maybe not..my memory's clearly gone out for a walk lol

Edited by Silentium

what a strange pronounciation =)

hehe, i assume that was also the same situation 2000 years ago, someone in Italica had probably a different accent then a roman citizen in Eborum or Virunum. I assume it was a similar set up like todays german, everyone learns and reads "High German" but if the locals (Vienna, Munich, Berlin etc..) speak to each other an "outsider" has difficulties to follow, but the moment they switch to high german everyone understands... (could be completely wrong though hehe)

cheers, viggen

ooops..I just realised I misspelled the word "pronunciation" on the previous post..lol. *quickly clicks on edit* :P

what a strange pronounciation =)

hehe, i assume that was also the same situation 2000 years ago, someone in Italica had probably a different accent then a roman citizen in Eborum or Virunum. I assume it was a similar set up like todays german, everyone learns and reads "High German" but if the locals (Vienna, Munich, Berlin etc..) speak to each other an "outsider" has difficulties to follow, but the moment they switch to high german everyone understands... (could be completely wrong though hehe)

cheers, viggen

Yes, of course, people from different countries tend to transfer their pronunciation habits to Latin as well, just like 2000 years ago and I

Swiss german is unique, it is basically just an allemanic dialect but unlike the allemanic dialects used in Germany, Austria or France it is an every day spoken language (TV, Radio etc...) unrestricted and practically used in all situations of daily life. A non allemanic person (like me, i belong to the Austro-Bavarian dialect group) can hardly understand them, my fellow countrymen in the most western austrian province called "Vorarlberg" which are the only ones in Austria speaking an allemanic dialect can follow without a problem...

You can find an exellent overview about german dialects here

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa051198.htm

regards

viggen

Swiss german is unique, it is basically just an allemanic dialect but unlike the allemanic dialects used in Germany, Austria or France it is an every day spoken language (TV, Radio etc...) unrestricted and practically used in all situations of daily life. A non allemanic person (like me, i belong to the Austro-Bavarian dialect group) can hardly understand them, my fellow countrymen in the most western austrian province called "Vorarlberg" which are the only ones in Austria speaking an allemanic dialect can follow without a problem...

You can find an exellent overview about german dialects here

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa051198.htm

regards

viggen

Thanks for the info, I was really curious about that. Oh, and the link is very informative by the way, now it's much clearer.