UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Yeah, Have Luck Indicting Jesus

As a clue to how all this relates you only have to consider the origins of our name for God - Jehovah. The Jewish version is Yahweh, the Arabic version is Allah, the Roman version was Jupiter or Jove - all having the same liguistic root.

The name JUPITER comes from the original name Diespiter or Diovis Pater (both were used) meaning, Heavenly Father or The Father of the Sky. Diovis was later pronounced Jovis Pater. The name Diovis derives from the Indo-European languge and Deity--- Dyeuz. The term Jove is modernised english term. The latin words were Luppiter or Jupiter.

Diovis Pater--Jovis Pater--Jupiter

People find it necessary because of what sort of world we have on our hands right now; such amazing claims are allowed to be heard when even up to 20 years ago such a thing would have been dismissed out of hand. This should have been dismissed straight away from court and the bloke recommended for pyschological testing. But such absurd claims are being heard in today's world, and people are getting money from such claims. It's indicative of the times, i'm sad to say.

I don't think money is a motivating factor in this at all and I really don't think he should be dismissed as 'crazy' just becuase he is arguing an important theological point.

"Amazing claims"? What is more amazing, the fact that a guy can raise himself from the dead, walk on water, turn water into wine, or that a billion people believe this crap? I think MORE people should sue god, maybe it'd lead to less idiocy!

On a side note, I just happen to be reading Mark Twain's Letter's from the Earth right now and it deals a heavy hand on the absurdity of organized religion. Basically, the title section is so named because he writes as the Archangel Satan sending letter's back to Michael & Gabriel about what is happening on Earth; God's "morality experiment".

The premise is very Deist in that the God in this story created the Earth but has no hand whatsoever in it's daily operations; as he designed Natural Law to take care of that. During one of his short exiles Satan drops by Earth out of curiosity and is astonished at what man does & says to explain the world...

He tells the other Archangels that man has an exceptional faculty for reason except in regards to religious matters...

On a side note, I just happen to be reading Mark Twain's Letter's from the Earth right now and it deals a heavy hand on the absurdity of organized religion. Basically, the title section is so named because he writes as the Archangel Satan sending letter's back to Michael & Gabriel about what is happening on Earth; God's "morality experiment".

Mark Twain! WhOOt! lol I love that book.

Honestly I don't think he should be dismissed as crazy, but I'm wondering why he would attempt such action. I have no problem with the point he's trying to make, I just wonder if there isn't a more effective (and less expensive) way?

"Amazing claims"? What is more amazing, the fact that a guy can raise himself from the dead, walk on water, turn water into wine, or that a billion people believe this crap? I think MORE people should sue god, maybe it'd lead to less idiocy!

The premise is very Deist in that the God in this story created the Earth but has no hand whatsoever in it's daily operations; as he designed Natural Law to take care of that. During one of his short exiles Satan drops by Earth out of curiosity and is astonished at what man does & says to explain the world...

He tells the other Archangels that man has an exceptional faculty for reason except in regards to religious matters...

have you read CS Lewis's 'Screwtape Letters?" on a similar theme.

I think the Red flag-waving revolutionaries of the 20th century taught us that organized atheism isn't necessarily more logical or moral than organized religion. ;)

Very true Urus, it is no wiser to have organized atheism that it is organized religion, and so we shouldn't have either perhaps, becuase both at the same time can have, literaly, deadly consquences. The better choice would be each person beleives what they want to beleive, worships when they need to, not on a particular sabbath, and that every person's religion is taliored to their own way of life, rather than the worship en masse.