UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why We Haven't Met Any Aliens

Viggen

A radical explanation for a conundrum about extra-terrestrial life, and what it means for the future of humanity!

Around 1900, most inventions concerned physical reality: cars, airplanes, Zeppelins, electric lights, vacuum cleaners, air conditioners, bras, zippers. In 2005, most inventions concern virtual entertainment the top 10 patent-recipients were IBM, Canon, Hewlett-Packard, Matsushita, Samsung, Micron Technology, Intel, Hitachi, Toshiba and Fujitsu not Boeing, Toyota or Victoria's Secret. We have already shifted from a reality economy to a virtual economy, from physics to psychology as the value-driver and resource-allocator. We are already disappearing up our own brainstems. Our neurons over-stimulate each other, promiscuously, as our sperm and eggs decay, unused. Freud's pleasure principle triumphs over the reality principle. Today we narrow-cast human-interest stories to each other, rather than broadcasting messages of universal peace and progress to other star systems.

Maybe the bright aliens did the same. I suspect that a certain period of fitness-faking narcissism is inevitable after any intelligent life evolves. This is the Great Temptation for any technological species to shape their subjective reality to provide the cues of survival and reproductive success without the substance. Most bright alien species probably go extinct gradually, allocating more time and resources to their pleasures, and less to their children. They eventually die out when the game behind all games the Game of Life says "Game Over; you are out of lives and you forgot to reproduce."

fascinating read...

"Perhaps the surest proof that intelligient life exists elsewhere is that none of it has tried to contact us" (as seen on a T-Shirt)

They eventually die out when the game behind all games the Game of Life says "Game Over; you are out of lives and you forgot to reproduce."

LOL!!

It seems to me people with too much free time on their hands reproduce more than less, at least in the lower (i.e. welfare) classes.

Haha, you've inadvertantly stumbled on my theory of modern human evolution (the scumbags produce more, the decent members of society less = evolutionary meltdown).

And that's partly why Rome fell, princeps!! (Just to add unnecessary relevance to the thread!!)

Maybe we have met aliens and didn't realise it.

What if Socrates or Aristotle had been aliens - at least from another time and place? Or Brunel, of Jesus?

What if at least some of the UFO sightings are true - we are watched but they do not mingle?

I once read an SF story in which earth had been cordoned off because we had once made it into space and proved tyrants and warlike. Now we are shunned and isolated.

Phil

It seems to me people with too much free time on their hands reproduce more than less, at least in the lower (i.e. welfare) classes.

Haha, you've inadvertantly stumbled on my theory of modern human evolution (the scumbags produce more, the decent members of society less = evolutionary meltdown).

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32456

Hahaha!

One theory as to why we haven't encountered any aliens yet is that our solar system might be something of a "wildlife reserve." After all, a species tied to only one planet could easily be wiped out by a technologically advance spacefaring species. It might "galactic law" that no one can visit our system, for fear of harming a relatively young species.