UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

On a light and happy note, I just want to know who you guys will cheer on in the 2006 World Cup, in Germany.

My Webpage a site to the World Cup.

I'll start us off, I don't know why but I love Team Sweden. I'm 25% Turkish so I'll be pulling for them during the whole event. We almost beat Brazil last year, and I think we can finish the job this year. Our team stack up nicely to theirs.

For those in Europe, be nice.:)

Edited by Rameses the Great

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argentina rules whether they win or not. For those English fans who hate Argentina ever since the 86 worldcup when Maradona beat you by a hand goal, you will never get your revenge in the World cup, everytime you get the chance you get trounced again and again. I hope these two teams meet again., it will be a heated match.

By default I must root for the American team...although we're much like the 'slow kids' in the accelerated class when it comes to footie. Damn, we suck.

My heart lies with Italia. :ph34r:

The English have potentially a very strong team indeed (except for the weakness up front)

Robinson

Neville

A Cole

Carragher

Terry

Campbell

Gerrard

Lampard

J Cole

Owen

?

Fortunately (I'm Scots) the manager is too conservative to play his best team in the most appropriate formation and instead picks the 'best' players, meaning they're saddled with Beckham unbalancing the side...

So we'll see

Robinson

Neville

A Cole

Campbell

Ferdinand

Beckham

Gerrard

Lampard

?

Owen

?

And I look forward to them being humiliated once again...

Edited by Furius Venator

you will never get your revenge in the World cup, everytime you get the chance you get trounced again and again.

Who told you that gem?

In the 98 world cup we drew 2-2 at 90minutes( we only had 10 men ) Argentina won on a penalty shootout B)

2002 world cup we beat them 1-0 :D

2005 friendly match (hehehe no such thing when your playing the Argies) we beat them 3-2! :D

The rivalry between the teams dates back to the 1966 world cup match (which we won),the game they played was one of the dirtiest international matches ever played!the Argentinians were described as Animals by the International press after this game (the fouls were terrible,you did that today some players would be arrested for assault) the England manager would not allow any of his team to swop shirts with the Argies after the game,he ran on the pitch to stop them :P .

Then you have the 1982 war,which we allso won :D

The 1986 world cup when maradonna blatenly cheated to get the Argies the win :P which knocked us out of the competition (cheating ********).

Its all good fun though :) ,i cant wait to the competion starts :D:D

And I look forward to them being humiliated once again..

Humiliated?its more of a humiliation if your team dont even qualify for the tournament isnt it?who are Scotland playing this summer?when was the last time Scotland qualified for a world cup?

I look forward to Scotland humiliation every time a Scotsman puts a football shirt on :D

(all in good fun m8) :P

Edited by longbow

The difference is of course that the Scots expect disaster, often losing to 'dreadful' teams. But just once in a while they pull off a stupendous win. It's the agony of not knowing how it will pan out that makes them worth following.

The English actually expect to win... this outrageous optimism actually weakens the manager's position. The press effectively ask him to achieve the near impossible, then lambast him when he gives it a good go but fails...

Did you guys check out Group D, talk about push over. You have Angola, Mexico, Iran and Portugal...who? :):P Since Turkey did not qualify, I'll cheer for Sweden. Or as the Scandanavians would say, 'VIKING POWER!!!' :P Oh yeah Holland, beware revenge will be good. B)

Lets see, the last time England won the cup was in 1966, that would be 40 years ago, in a game they invented. B) Argentina has 2 cups under it's belt and the last time was 20 years ago.

If we are going to talk about the Falkland islands, I support Britian anyday militarily, but if we are going to talk about football I bet on Argentina anyday, they just know how to do it better. :P

Lets see, the last time England won the cup was in 1966, that would be 40 years ago, in a game they invented.

So what,we invented Tennis too when was the last time an Englishman/women won anything at Tennis? :P

If we are going to talk about the Falkland islands, I support Britian anyday militarily, but if we are going to talk about football I bet on Argentina anyday, they just know how to do it better

Fair enougth :P ,i only mentioned the war because you mentioned the rivalry and it is a part of the hostilities between the two sets of supporters.I like the rivalry between the teams it makes for good football matches,and that can only be good right?

The English actually expect to win... this outrageous optimism actually weakens the manager's position. The press effectively ask him to achieve the near impossible, then lambast him when he gives it a good go but fails...

We only expext to win because they (players/manager) tell us there going to win,how can it weaken the managers position when its him who claims it?and i think Svens position is weak enougth,lets face it,its Beckham who runs that team.

England can hardly be accused of 'giving it a good go' during the last world cup could they?the match against a ten man Brazil team just about summed those underachieving pre madonna's up.

Anyway,i look forward to this summers finals and you never know we might just win it :)B):D

(only joking,i know we've got no chance :D )

Longbow

The three most important things to me in any world cup.

1. Argentina wins it all.

2. Brazil does NOT win the cup. (I despise Brazil more than any other team).

3. Argentina beats England if they play. B)

In that order.

My second choice after Argentina is Germany.

Edited by tflex

• 4 weeks later...

From my limited knowledge of football all I can say is that the US is screwed with our grouping of Italy and the Czech Republic. Wouldn't it just irritate the entire world if the hated Americans who don't even give a damn advance to the 2nd round though. :P Here's hoping to play spoiler.

Seriously though, I will be watching. Despite it not being that big here, the World Cup has all the history of rivalry and excitement to make it compelling to watch and thankfully American television is showing the games.

Aside from the US, I'm rooting for the Brits (for all intensive purposes my ancestral homeland). (I also have an unexplainable affinity for Sweden as well. Hard to argue with Vikings kicking things I suppose)