UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ho ho ho, first sensation of the cup,

Trinidad/Tobago makes a heroic 0:0 draw with one man less against top team of Sweden...

I guess its party time in the caribbean right now :)

I've been in Aruba for the last week *sigh* And seriously...that was the most f'ed up yellow card ever...not even remotely a foul.

Anyway, I was in a local/resort bar watching it, and the entire bar (which was 50/50 locals/tourists) was pissing and moaning about that call...and then we were all screaming for joy when T&T held off Sweden. There was a couple of rounds of rum drinks on the house...I think...I don't recall ;)

Sweden will advance, the Viking power will shine throgh once again.

Through my fifteen year life I have never seen such a great World Cup. I haven't missed a game. ;) The great thing is we are just getting started.

I was wrong about Iran and the political turmoil surrounding them. They showed calss and gave Mexico, what I think, was a run for their money. Anyways tomorrow's games should be a great set.

The much awaited America vs Czeck Republic math, at least in America, is tomorrow. I remember in the Euro when Greece beat them and won the Euro.

Anyways, anyone can win except Brazil. Too many cocky sport's fans there.

GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, is what Australia was saying. After a lakadaisical Egyptian referee and an illadvised goal counted Australia, they went on a huge drought. In the waning minutes in the 84' 89' and 92' they scored. Cahill scored twice to put them in the lead and Aliosci sealed the deal. It was quite a thing to hear the Aussi cheers and roars. Seeing the kangaroos and people jumping up and down was quite a thing to behold.

Now, it is the Czech Republic and America next. The Americans will be cheering for America, while the world will be cheering for the Czechs. Who will win nobody knows, but hopefully it will be the best game so far.

By the way Marcel Belboa should get a hair cut. He looks like a Visigoth out there. :P

U.S. had a bad loss, I doubt they will advance now. The only scenario now is they have to beat Italy in the next game which is the best team in the group, and they have to beat Ghana convincingly.

They came out slow and were absolutely shallacked. :fish: They will not advance, and I don't have a problem with it because they don't deserve to. Italy and the Czech Republic will advance as they should. They did not try to score all they did was protect something that was not even there.

Quick update. Ghana came out sloppy in the first half and Italy took advantage scoring a goal. The second half, Ghana played much better in terms of possession, but they didn't know how to finish it off, they gave up another sloppy goal to Italy. 2-0 in favor of Italy.

I think it's fair to say that Italy and the Czech Republic will advance from Group E.

U.S. had a bad loss, I doubt they will advance now. The only scenario now is they have to beat Italy in the next game which is the best team in the group, and they have to beat Ghana convincingly.

They came out slow and were absolutely shallacked. :fish: They will not advance, and I don't have a problem with it because they don't deserve to. Italy and the Czech Republic will advance as they should. They did not try to score all they did was protect something that was not even there.

Gloat, Ramses, gloat. Remember that after Pearl Harbor, Tokyo Bay soon followed. Go Yanks, go!

Gloat, Ramses, gloat. Remember that after Pearl Harbor, Tokyo Bay soon followed. Go Yanks, go!

Oh no, don't get me wrong Gaius I cheer for America and live in it to. The thing is they did not have any confidence and no swagger. They can talk the talk but can they get the ball in the net. This reamins to be seen.

I think America is cheated by always getting a difficlut group to play in. Even though the world may hate us, that will not stop the Uncle Sam supporters for cheering on the U.S.A.

Like in Lake Placid miracles do happen. Indeed, go YANKS!

Talk about being negative...every team has a chance. You guys make it sound like Italy is way better than the Czechs(of course they're not).

Fifa ranks the Czechs #2, Italy #13 and the U.S. #5. I think this is the highest ranking for the U.S. coming into a world cup, and a lot was expected out of them. I don't think the loss was the surprise, but rather the score 3-0, and a poor performance by big time players like Donovan and Beasley. Now, they must beat Italy and Ghana, and even that doesn't guarantee them to advance. The 3-0 loss will hurt them because of the point system.

Brazil will play it's first game tomorrow, ofcourse they are ranked #1, but I'm praying and hoping for a miracle, that Croatia will beat them and spoil their debut.

Edited by tflex

Fifa ranks the Czechs #2, Italy #13 and the U.S. #5.

I wouldnt use the FIFA ranking's as a guide to the world cup.The FIFA system is based on wins only,this can be missleading because certain teams dont play very good opposition (depending on where there based goegraphically and what competitions they play in),so they win a lot of the time.The bookmakers are a better source because they base there odd's on a teams ability and form.

Current odds.

1 Brazil 5/2

2England 6/1

3Argentina 15/2

4Italy 9/1

5Holland 12/1

The Czechs are at 20/1!!!!wow.Even though they've probably lost Koller (48 goals in 67 internationals,phew...) for the rest of the tournament,they have a really good team and i quite fancy them now.I'll certainly be putting twenty quid on them at those odds :P .

USA's odds are at 500/1,the Americans have got it tougth in group E with teams like Italy and Ghana to play and i cant see them qualifying after loosing in the first match.I hope they can do it though (anything can happen its football) i really want to see a USA v Iran game :thumbsup: ,It'll make us and the Argies same tame :ph34r:

World cup Odds checker.

Edited by longbow