UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

Argentina are looking good,that goal with something like 23 passes was amazing!it will be on the wonder goal DVD's for years to come.Unless England pull there socks up i dont think they'll stand a chance against this Argie team :D

England is playing excellent defense though, and I really think they will raise their game as the competition gets stronger.

They do face a challenge in Germany though. There's a very good chance they will meet them in the next round. Depending on how these two matches turn out Germany vs Ecuador and England vs Sweden. According to the schedule for Group A and B in Round 16: 1A vs 2B and 1B vs 2A.

None of the great teams have had good competition so far, we haven't seen them tested yet against quality teams. There are three key matches coming up soon to watch out for, Germany vs Ecuador, England vs Sweden, Argentina vs Netherlands. After they play, we should get a good idea who's on top of their game.

Edited by tflex

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. vs Italy tomorrow.

Go Yankees!

Yes! They better win. Sam's army will be out in full support. Marcel Belboa said the Italian team is very good, but very beatable. Hey anything can happen just ask the folks at Lake Placid. ;)

Well, at least the USA tied Italy, even if it's an OG. And we played with much more skill and determination than the previous match. But still...that match was a bunch of horsebleep. The ref really needs to be strung up...offsides calls on both teams that were not, fouls called that weren't...yet 2 red cards for the US team that weren't even close. I really hope that dude gets taken out of the ref pool for the remainder of the tournament.

At least Ghana won today...which means we still have a chance! We ain't dead yet!

I should like to praise Angola for "pluck and guts" .Well done chaps. The goalkeeper trains at home and doesnt have a club?

Amen...although Mexico did their usual performance: flashes of brilliance along with flashes of idiocy. Too many times, especially when 1-man up, they would kick the ball right into Angola's defence. Duh.

Anyway, moral victory for Angola...and now I need the USA/Italy game to be a good one.

Well ,considering how few people were left on the pitch it was pretty good!

Well, at least the USA tied Italy, even if it's an OG. And we played with much more skill and determination than the previous match. But still...that match was a bunch of horsebleep. The ref really needs to be strung up...offsides calls on both teams that were not, fouls called that weren't...yet 2 red cards for the US team that weren't even close. I really hope that dude gets taken out of the ref pool for the remainder of the tournament.

Oh i dont know it was a pretty rougth game.The dissalowed goal was the correct call,Mcbride was obstructing the keepers view therefore interfering with play so he's offside.

The elbow incident was shocking and thoroughly deserved his red card and the probably suspension he'll receive.

The two footed tackle what got the USA player sent was the correct call too,its dangerous when a player lunges in with both feet (broken legs) thats why the tackle was banned.Ten years ago you could do those tackles all match,as long as you won the ball it didnt matter what happened to the player,but now it'll get you sent off.The players know it but they still do it in the heat of the moment.

However,i didnt think the defender who got two booking's deserved either of them! two bad calls by mr referee there.

Good match though :D i enjoyed it.

Longbow

I didn't understand the disallowed goal rule. I mean, it's one thing if you're standing and facing the goalie, knowingly blocking his view of the shot. But if your back is turned to the goalie, how the hell are you supposed to know that you're blocking his view?

The tackle which got Mastroeni tossed...that was banned? (This is what I get for not keeping up with footie in forever.) Seemed like a late hit, so perhaps a yellow card...but a red? When he hadn't received a previous yellow? Seemed harsh.

The tackle which got Mastroeni tossed...that was banned? (This is what I get for not keeping up with footie in forever.) Seemed like a late hit, so perhaps a yellow card...but a red? When he hadn't received a previous yellow? Seemed harsh.

I agree that it should have been a yellow card. I think this refree having just issued a red card to the Italian player, and rightfully so, he probably thought to be fair, the Americans should get the same treatment, except that the foul did not warrant a red card. So, by trying to be fair, he actually made the wrong call and took the U.S. out of the game. I'm convinced the U.S. would have won the match, they were playing in attack mode and the Italians were very careless. The majority of the bad calls went against the U.S., the Italians benefited greatly from this and are very luck the refree bailed them out. It's a shame, but from what I understand this refree was suspended before for irregularities. He did get the goalie obstruction call right though, other than that he dictated the game.

Edited by tflex

I didn't understand the disallowed goal rule. I mean, it's one thing if you're standing and facing the goalie, knowingly blocking his view of the shot. But if your back is turned to the goalie, how the hell are you supposed to know that you're blocking his view?

If he wasnt offside it wouldnt matter :D

You can stand in a offside position as long as your not interfering with play,as the player was behind the defenders when the ball was struck (offside) and his body was blocking the keepers view of the ball,he's interfered with play.

Yes,it was banned a while ago.A two footed challenge is deamed to be dangerous and reckless as when both feet are off the ground your not in control of the tackle.If a man has his leg planted and you two foot him in the shin or knee area,you'll snap his leg.For that reason the FIFA rule to referee's is to by pass the booking (which is a warning) and give a mandatory striaight red card.You dont even have to hit the player either,if you lunge in and miss him you'll still get sent off.

Years ago it was perfectly acceptable to elbow people, like what happened to Mcbride last night.But because its dangerous and players were getting series injuries FIFA deemed it a red card offence,no warning issued (yellow card) instant dismissal from the field (which happened in the game).If you get sent off for a elbowing you will allso receive a ban.

I think the USA deserved to win the match,there style is similar to Englands which is at a faster pace than the Meditaranian teams like to play at, and i thought they showed more passion.Its hard to play against the Italians though because they go over like they've been poleaxed if you so much as brush against them!

L

Edited by longbow

My Lord, group E certainly is the group of death. It can go any way, the US should hope Italy wins against the Czechs by a lot and that the US need to beat Ghana. I suppose three goals should be sufficient if the points become a mess.

But I can't help think, do you think the whole group deserves to advance rather than some other teams from an undeserving teams from groups like for example Group H and F with the exceptions of Brazil and Spain and maybe Austrailia.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

But I can't help think, do you think the whole group deserves to advance rather than some other teams from an undeserving teams from groups like for example Group H and F with the exceptions of Brazil and Spain and maybe Austrailia.

I don't think many would argue against Group E being the roughest one--three teams that are top 20 (regardless of FIFA rankings), and poor Ghana to clean up. Going in, Group F didn't seem that tough, but the match tomorrow Brazil v. Australia will be interesting; if Australia shows well, it'll do them a world of good. I don't know about the other groups, though; there seems to be 2 'strong' teams and 2 'weak teams' in every other group, or at least one 'strong' team and 2-3 'average' teams.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be not only more African/Middle Eastern teams than usual, but they aren't half bad? I don't mean to say that they're good...but they're not poor, either. The only one I thought played poorly was Saudi Arabia. But Angola played strong against Mexico and Portugal, Cote d'Ivoire has done ok, and Tunisia and Ghana haven't exactly bellied-up. I haven't seen Togo or Iran play, so I can't comment on them.

Ivory Coast is the best African team, but unfortunately for them, they are in the toughest and deepest group of the tournament Group C. There first two matches were with Argentina and Netherlands, both are heavyweights.

I would say Group E is the second toughest, but the heavyweights in this group have not done their job. Thats why t's turned out to be the most exciting. After two matches for all four teams, it's still not clear who will qualify, it's all up for grabs.

On paper that group E looked easy but now it's the most exciting. Group C looked dangerous, but Serbia did not play anything and Cote d'Ivoire prove to be a good team but far from her glamourous opponents.

I wish good luck to Australia and bad luck to France.

12 or 8 years ago the best competition will have been the European Cup with Argentina and Brazil added. This year I'm confused. Cehia lost to Ghana, Croatia got it all wrong, France, Italy, Portugal did not play anything.

Ecuador, South Coreea, Trinidad, Australia and maybe Ghana are all trying to go up with some succes.

But i can bet that when only 8 teams are left at least 6 of them will be from Europe.