UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half England were all over the Swedes but the level dropped in the second half again.Beckhams schoolboy errors trying to defend the front post for set plays were at fault for the two goals.Whoever decided to put him in that critical position wants there head looking at!

Both the England goals were excellent finishes,Gerrards header was textbook and Joe Coles volley was a cracker!

It looks like Owen's out of the competion with a Knee injury,i cant say im dissapointed about it though,he's playing crap anyway.

England are going to have to do something about there second half performance,when we go up against better oposition (presuming we beat Ecuador) we'll get turned over if it isnt sorted out.

Im really enjoying these finals,the German hosts are doing a great job!the erection of the big screens in the parks etc seems to be keeping everyone happy and in the party spirit,even the English and the Argentinians were partying together!WOW.

I hope the party spirit carries on and this is the first world cup for years without major crowd violence,its early days but its looking good.

Well, the Swedes gave England a run for the money...good match overall. Germany is gonna get a handful in the Viking warriors.

These English fans are amazing. Not only do they come out in full support in England they came to Germany taking the stands. I like how they are always making noise and never giving in to other crowds. They're just like the Steelers, fans everywhere and they travel well.

I made the pick of Sweden and I am sticking to it. They are a resiliant bunch who just never give up. Germany has been playing great. With home advantage and a killer offense they will undoubtedly be the favorites. However the Viking defense is a massive wall and can repel the German attack for some time.

If they just wait and play defensively they will lose. If they play agressively, like we've seen against England when they were losing, they will win. However I think they will win, they just have the will and the team to do the impossible.

...even the English and the Argentinians were partying together!WOW.

I hope the party spirit carries on and this is the first world cup for years without major crowd violence,its early days but its looking good.

I hope so too, but I doubt it. Most of the teams that were suppose to qualify have qualified, so everyone is relaxed right now; this friendly atmosphere will change once the elimination round begins.

There's a big match tomorrow Argentina vs Netherlands. If Argentina loses that game, they will meet England in the quarterfinals, assuming they both win their round 16 matches. If Argentina wins tomorrow, then the only scenario they will meet England would be in the finals, and I doubt that will happen.

Anyways, if they do meet in the quarterfinals, they won't be partying together, but killing eachother. :o

Edited by tflex

Just in case anyone is curious like me why we yanks call football soccer...

Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football

Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives

of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules

of the game. One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a

rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the

Association several months later. The name Association Football was

coined to distinguish it from Rugby.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca' was in use, and the spelling soccer

had made its appearance by 1895."

We have to thank the students of the 1880s for the word "soccer". It

seems it was the practice amonst the well bred students of Oxford to

abbreviate words whilst adding "er" to the end; "brekkers" for

breakfast for example.

On asked if he wanted to play "rugger" (i.e. the "rugby rules") a

student replied "no, soccer", an abbreviation of "association", or the

"association rules", i.e. the rules of the Football Association in

London.

"Footer" was also used, but could have referred to either code.

From a combination of posts in here... http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=6442

"ers" as an ending to words in Britain is , in essence, a diminutive expressing fondness and intimacy (not of the greek kind I hasten to add) with other major related variants EG: if you are in a football or cricket team you may well be named as follows:

Beckham-Becks, Gascoigne-Gazza, Agnew-Aggers, Atherton-Athers, Trescothick-Tresco, Flintoff-doessnt count because hes called Freddy after Fred Flintstone, I recall the Pakistan fast bowler Tahir Naquash being called Naqqers by the test match commentary team..

"ers" as an ending to words in Britain is , in essence, a diminutive expressing fondness and intimacy (not of the greek kind I hasten to add) with other major related variants EG: if you are in a football or cricket team you may well be named as follows:

Beckham-Becks, Gascoigne-Gazza, Agnew-Aggers, Atherton-Athers, Trescothick-Tresco, Flintoff-doessnt count because hes called Freddy after Fred Flintstone, I recall the Pakistan fast bowler Tahir Naquash being called Naqqers by the test match commentary team..

A recurring phenomena you've given to Canadians in earnest especially regarding hockey players. The Y example is quite common (ie Shanahan to Shanny).

The Italians set up America with the perfect scenario and what do they do?

Congragulations to Ghana and Italy.

America and the Czech Republic may have been the best, but they don't know how to beat the rest.

Congrats to Australia, what a battle and fun it was (and now i also have seen the worst referee in my life)... I think it is very important for world soccer to welcome a sports powerhouse like Australia to join the party...

cheers

viggen

Congrats to Australia, what a battle and fun it was (and now i also have seen the worst referee in my life)... I think it is very important for world soccer to welcome a sports powerhouse like Australia to join the party...

OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE!!!!

OI OI OI!!!

C'mon, how do you not get behind a team who chants this? That, and anyone who calls themselves the 'Socceroos' deserves a shot.

Not that it mattered, but we wuz robbed! Wasn't that a free ball? What was that penalty all about?

There is only one honest sport around; pro rasslin!

Good thing that the Yankees don't play in England!

Well from tomorrow the real world cup begins when the elimination round starts.

Here's my predictions:

Round 16 winners - Germany, Argentina, Italy, Switzerland, England, Netherlands, Brazil, Spain.

QuarterFinals winners - Argentina, Italy, Netherlands, Brazil.

SemiFinals winners - Argentina, Brazil

Finals winner - I don't know, but I'll go with Argentina, thats my team.

I'de like to hear your predictions?

Edited by tflex

All right! The Netherlands and Portugal are set to take off in a little bit. Hopefully we will get a good one, and the officiating will be better. ;)

Is it me, or are all the analysts and reporters picking Portugal? Weird the Netherlands will win like they should have had in the Euro two years ago. Bad officiating beats what Van Nisterooy calls 'homers' any day.

By the way did anyone see Beckam's goal against Ecuador? The curve is astonishing, it clears the wall, dips down, and finds the broad side of the net. Mine just curves and hits wide all the time. I hit it with a terrible spin.

Anyways, if England plays a hard opponent and it is deadlocked at 0-0 or 1-1 be careful because give Beckam a penalty kick outside of the box and you will regret it.

England has a balanced and marvelous team. Why the English fans are ansy is just weird. A solid defense and an explosive attack with a balanced midfield makes this team a power.

Edited by Rameses the Great

All right! The Netherlands and Portugal are set to take off in a little bit. Hopefully we will get a good one, and the officiating will be better.

*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* Wrong...arguably some of the worst officiating ever. I lost count of the yellow cards.