UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

The French MUST be stopped at ANY cost. We need a traditional pre-battle prayer of the ancients to fortify Italia. Anyone?

EDIT: Found a couple!

"Three full centuries

That kingdom will be ruled by Hector's race,

Until the queen and priestess, Ilia,

Pregnant by Mars, will bear twin sons to him.

Afterward, happy in the tawny pelt

His nurse, the she-wolf, wears, young Romulus

Will take the leadership, build walls of Mars,

And call by his own name his people Romans.

For these I set no limits, world or time,

But make a gift of empire without end.

Juno, indeed, whose bitterness now fills

With fear and torment the sea and earth and sky,

Will mend her ways, and favor them as I do,

Lords of the world, the toga-bearing Romans."

Virgil

"Janus, Jupiter, Father Mars, Quirinus, Bellona, Lares, New Gods, Native Gods, deities who have power over us and our enemies, and Gods of the Underworld: I supplicate and revere you, I seek your favor and beseech you, that you prosper the might and victory of the Roman people, the Quirites, and afflict the enemies of the Roman people, the Quirites, with terror, dread, and death. As I have pronounced the words, even so on behalf of the army, the legions, and auxiliaries of the Roman nation of Quirites, do I devote myself and with me the legions and auxiliaries of our enemies to the gods of the Underworld and to Earth."

Livy

Edited by P.Clodius

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, Italy stinks!, they played like sissies, but they won anyway.

What was Zidane thinking?

Both goalkeepers made no saves, a shame for France to lose that way, but they only have themselves to blame. They definately beat themselves. Italy has been lucky all touranment.

Grrrrrr!!!! Zidane what in god's name are you doing in overtime?

Yeah weired game, from the second half the Italians dissapeard from the field, it was like they had something bad to drink, France was dominating.

Zidane? What a good game and then that, (I am lost for words...)

The American announcers calling the game for ABC--who, until that bonehead, eejit, jackass move, had been saying how Zidane was the epitome of class, etc., the entire tournament--were at a total loss for words. I mean, I don't care what anyone says about your mamma, you can't be headbutting players, period, especially in overtime of the championship game. Bush-league, man, bush-league.

(oh...Viva Azzurri!!! Campionati del mondo!!!)

what a weird game eh? The third place was better! Strange tournament all round, a lot of "big names" were poor (England -"groan" we didnt even turn up) Brazil (what were they thinking of?) Argentina ( they were on fire, and didnt play Messi?), some outsiders were very good but didnt make it ( Cote D'Ivoire) and others were just cynical (Portugal, and sadly perhaps Italy) , Germany deserve great credit , they did really well with a young team . At least Germany didnt look afraid to play football.

No excuses for Zidane, he's not Rooney to lose his temper like that, not in the world cup final, the biggest even in sports, with about 1.5 billion people watching worldwide. If they won this game, Zidane would be mentioned right up there with Platini, Pele and Maradona, but to make a bonehead move like that in the final, in overtime, his final career match, it's gotta affect his legacy, and reflect badly. The way France were playing in overtime, it's very possible they would have scored on Italy the last few minutes, similar to what Italy did against Germany. ZIdane took that chance away from them when he decided to use his head on a player instead of the ball.

Edited by tflex

I'm like the rest of you guys, just shocked. I don't know what happened I thought I was dreaming. It's sad that throught the World Cup, this will be remembered. I'll remember the way Ghana fought out of a tough group and almost beat Brazil. I'll remember the Aussies giving all they had and taking to the stands like World Class fans. I'll remember Trinidad and Tobago making a small nation proud to be from there. I'll remember the Mexicans outplaying Argentina and scoring the first goal. I'll remember the German pride and how they presented their nation.

They made their nation nation proud and left all they had out on the field. There's no such thing as you had fun, or you tried, it's you played the game the way it is supposed to be played. Those are the true champions.

What a final!!! France almost had it, things could have really changed if Zidane had been there to take some of the penalties.

With his red carding, his team seemed to lack motivation and fell back a little when it came to the cruical penalties.

It would have been nice to have a French victory however, the Italians had the gods smiling upon them.

Oh!, dear me! :P

Five to three! :lol:

Now the twaddle begins. ;)

And the Romans went to sleep in the second half - Ha! - but the Gauls DIDN'T score! Goes to show you that the Italians don't have to be awake to beat the French!

Poor Zidane! Why didn't he go out there with a pistol?

Let us assume that he was in the kick-off and further presume that he scored. Then it might have been 5 to 4. But what if one of the chaps who scored was unloaded? 5-3! Same thing.

Sour grapes are best served to arm chair coaches.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Now the twaddle begins. ;)

Fye ! Fye ! do I detect gloatery ? Already I see thy bloody plan Blackadder, thou wudst drown Middlesex in a vat of sack! ( or is that a sack of bats?) :pimp: and become King!

Now the twaddle begins. :ph34r:

Fye ! Fye ! do I detect gloatery ? Already I see thy bloody plan Blackadder, thou wudst drown Middlesex in a vat of sack! ( or is that a sack of bats?) :pimp: and become King!

Nay, sir, nay. You err. It is mockery! Consider well the preceeding. Why should I waste a vat of sack or for that matter a sack of bats? B)

My Lord, if it helps you, the Glorious Yankees lost today.

P. S. My Lord, I have made some comments to your usual excellent pictures in re 'Scutum".

I really hate that Italian team, they don't deserve to touch or raise that cup. I think I'm gonna start crying like a baby. If you'll excuse me :(

You are excused. Cry well. Cry long. Cry often. :lol:

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

You are excused. Cry well. Cry long. Cry often. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Alright I cried, now I'm simply angry and outraged. I must take my revenge out on someone. What shall I ever do? Maybe hire the mafia to carry out my revenge, or maybe the next time the Italian national team plays, I'll take my clothes off and jump on the field to mock the Italian players by drawing the flag of Italy on my visible backside.