UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

Well, in 2002 they reached the semifinal and almost pulled out a victory against Germany. If you have the money and the organization it can be done.

South Korea played Germany in the semi's of the 2002 cup and they were on home soil,the advantage of palying at home is immense.Teams usually play well when there staging the tournament (usually),not wanting to let the nation down and all that.

The England team needs shooting :D ,some of the best individual players in the world (defense,midfield) with the worlds highest payed international manager (godamn you Sven!) and the best travelling support in the world and they STILL cant manage to win a penalty shootout!

:P

It would be a great coup for the Americans to grab Klinsmen,before this tournament the Germans wanted him sacked but now he's golden balls!He's proved his worth getting to the semi's with some mediocre players Ballack,Lehman and Klose are top class but the rest of them are nothing special,Even though it was there tournament its still a good result the last four.

However,i think that its better for a team not to have a foreign manager.Foreign manager's dont have the same pride and passion for the country that the players and fans have.Look at Sven,he couldnt give a toss,he just want his

Edited by longbow

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused, but not that confused to put my money on the U.S. football team. They need more then Klinsmann! A good internal championship with lots of teams and money to attract young athlets to this sport, good players that play outside in major european teams and some serious external competions as the qualifing group it's not seriously chalanging.

Playing once in 4 yers it's not to good.

African teams have most players in Europe so the the organization of the federation it's rather irrelevant. More important are the junior teams because this makes possible the recruitment for the internal and external teams.

If I sleep till the next World Cup I'll miss the European Cup!

Wonder what he said to him to cause such a reaction?

Some of the problems facing 'soccer' in the U.S. are: not enough head butting, time for commercials on TV, yellow and red cards and kids don't play pick-up games in the streets of cities.

How many commercials are shown during a televised baseball/football game in the states?

There is commercials on ITV and the cable channels which show footy matches (only the BBC doesnt show commercials) in Britain but they dont air them during the match.They show them before the start, during half time and at the finnish before the interviews with the players.

Yellow and red cards are integral to the sport,dont you have them or something similar in the NFL?I watched a NFL game once and a player got sent off the field for tackling helmet to helmet,twice!I cant remember if the ref brandished any cards at the bloke though,i think they just told him to get off.When that happens in a game can you bring on a replacement or do you have to play a man down like in football?

Can you ever see the American kids putting down the Baseball gloves and shoulder pads to pick up soccer balls?The American sports are great games and i think the Americans like the fact that there unique to them,i dont think 'Soccer' will ever be a contender to the more traditional American sports.

L

Edited by longbow

How many commercials are shown during a televised baseball/football game in the states? There is commercials on ITV and the cable channels which show footy matches (only the BBC doesnt show commercials) in Britain but they dont air them during the match.They show them before the start, during half time and at the finnish before the interviews with the players.

The majority of Americans are used to breaks during a game--baseball between half innings, football and basketball on time outs--and so sports like footy and hockey, where there are no breaks except for between periods, are not as popular. Lord knows we need time to run to the fridge so we have something else to stick in our pie hole :lol: Hockey is facing the same issue, too; hopefully they don't change it just to accomodate the ignorant masses.

Yellow and red cards are integral to the sport,dont you have them or something similar in the NFL?I watched a NFL game once and a player got sent off the field for tackling helmet to helmet,twice!I cant remember if the ref brandished any cards at the bloke though,i think they just told him to get off.When that happens in a game can you bring on a replacement or do you have to play a man down like in football?

Yes, they are integral to footy, and in NFL you have penalties which affect the whole team--anywhere from 5 yards to 15 yards to wherever the spot of the foul was. Players usually don't get tossed from the game for accumulating penalties, but can on occasion be tossed for highly eggregious fouls. In basketball you have free throws, with flagrant fouls (usually when the erring player intending to harm the afflicted player; one can be tossed for those) and technical fouls (usually for balking at a ref's call a bit too strongly, or for kicking/throwing the ball in the stands; the non-erring team gets 2 free throws, plus possession of the ball, and if you get 2 technicals in a game you will be tossed). There's nothing really in baseball, save for warnings and, eventually, being tossed, but nothing organized like footy. Hockey has the penalty box, where the erring player must go for 2-4 minutes, and there is a power play, where the non-erring team has a man (or, sometimes 2 man) advantage while the erring player is in the box.

Can you ever see the American kids putting down the Baseball gloves and shoulder pads to pick up soccer balls?The American sports are great games and i think the Americans like the fact that there unique to them,i dont think 'Soccer' will ever be a contender to the more traditional American sports.

Well, in California (and, perhaps, the West Coast in general) things are bit different. Youth soccer is huge, and most kids play at least until middle school, and many until later. It's as popular as youth baseball here. Then again, we have the weather that's most conducive--warm, and then cool, autumns and springs, with summers that are dry. When I lived in Texas, soccer is popular only for periods of time...the summers are just too hot for the kids, and the winters are pretty rainy. As for playing in the streets...I don't know if stickball will ever be replaced in the East Coast.

Well, in California (and, perhaps, the West Coast in general) things are bit different. Youth soccer is huge, and most kids play at least until middle school, and many until later. It's as popular as youth baseball here. Then again, we have the weather that's most conducive--warm, and then cool, autumns and springs, with summers that are dry. When I lived in Texas, soccer is popular only for periods of time...the summers are just too hot for the kids, and the winters are pretty rainy. As for playing in the streets...I don't know if stickball will ever be replaced in the East Coast.

Youth soccer is actually enormously popular all over the US. For whatever reason... the kids just stop playing when they get older. Maybe because there isn't any money to be had in North America by playing it on a professional level. I suppose there has always been sort of a general notion in the US that soccer is for perfect for children but that adult males should play other more American sports. Not sure why that is really. Simple tradition for the most part I assume.

Anyway, I did enjoy the World Cup very much this year though even without a vested interest after the opening round... Though now soccer fades from my general zone of awareness for another 4 years...

Congrats Italia

How many commercials are shown during a televised baseball/football game in the states?

There is commercials on ITV and the cable channels which show footy matches (only the BBC doesnt show commercials) in Britain but they dont air them during the match.They show them before the start, during half time and at the finnish before the interviews with the players.

You'd flip dude, it took me forever to get used to and I've been here 15 years! Even now its annoying as hell. One extreme example is the Super Bowl. The game lasts 1 hour, they manage to drag it out for 4-5 hours because of all the stoppages and ad times. You're litterally subjected to 5 mins of advertisments every 3-4 mins....

Edited by P.Clodius

This Zidane-Matterazzi thing goes on all the time in pro sports. Did M insult Z in French or does Z understand Italian? Sometimes what is understood in one language as nothing much translates into another as a criminal offence. Z had 84 minutes plus to get a goal against the 'inferior' team, maybe that micturated him off. Pulled Z's shirt? Oh, dear! Never saw that before in soccer!

How would Z like it if someone clocked him in the sternum?

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never harm me."

Get a life Z, you're not playing hockey.