UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Zarqawi Killed

tflex

It has taken a killer filth off the planet, but it is mostly a political huzzah. There are three major (including Al-Qaida) and about 20 minor groups doing roughly the same thing.

al-Zarqawi's death might make it easier for people to support the resistance to occupation. He did mad dog tactics, but if others don't behead people, call jihads against Sunnis and bomb mosques...the more common population may have a bit more tolerance of them.

But hey, now he can learn first hand about his religious beliefs. If he is punished, great! If he is rewarded, I'm sure I don't want to worship his god.

Or to sum it up, what I'll do on his grave won't pass for flowers and I'll bring a good dance tape.

I think this is a good morale boost for the coalition troops and the Iraqis. Thousand of lives were lost because of Zarqawi, and a lot of them were innocent civilians.

Also, it should re-energize the intelligence community and the U.S. troops in Afghanistan in finding the big fish Bin Laden and Al Zawahiri; they are proving to be very elusive.

The death of al Zarqawi of course is welcomed, but at what cost? It's like a burning down your house, and then, as you trudge through the flames, you found that you did get rid of the rat that was haunting it.

The house on fire analogy is a bit over the top, although there's no doubt the occupation was mishandled at the start and we're paying the price for it. I've been on combat tours in Iraq and the overwhelming majority of combat, ambushes, IEDs whatever are located in about 25% of the country, where the minority and formerly in power Sunnis live and in Baghdad, both areas where the US Army and Marines have control of the sectors. The Kurish north and large areas of the Shia south containing second-tier cities like Karbala, Najaf, Al Kut, Al Hila and Nasiriyah are relatively peaceful except on one occasion when extremists infiltrated Najaf.

That being said, I think there's a good argument to be made to parade Zarqawi's head on a pike through downtown Fallujah, Ramadi and Tikrit. Call me old school.

Edited by Virgil61

I was thinking that the Cilician pirates were sort of al Qaeda-like, but I can't think of any good Zarqawi parallel.

Don't make fun of the Cilician pirates they aren't cowards who hit and run. I think they had some idea what they were doing. However Al Qaeda and Zarqawi are mediocer at best.