UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Help, Small English To Latin Translation

melissa_hewett

Apparently its slow on the boards today, so I'll help you out.

There is no such form as 'mertius.' What you want is the perfect tense using the supine form--> Meritus sum, but thats for male gender. Since you are a girl, its Merita sum. BY the way, mereo, mereri, meritus sum is deponent.

Final answer:

Pennam meam merita sum.

For something simple, I might have stupid errors. So someone else may correct me.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

There is no such form as 'mertius.' What you want is the perfect tense using the supine form--> Meritus sum, but thats for male gender. Since you are a girl, its Merita sum.

The supine is never nominative - only accusative and ablative. Correctly, it's the perfect passive participle.

BY the way, mereo, mereri, meritus sum is deponent.

Not quite. If it were mereo, mereri, meritus, then it'd be semi-deponent. However, I see two different entries for mereo - mereo, merere and mereor, mereri, most likely having both the deponent forms and regular forms. Also, meritus seems to be used both active, passive and middle tenses, which is quite a large difference. Did the wings earn, or did someone earn the wings? Chambers-Murray cites the middle tense for meritus as most frequent.

Personally, I'd stick with perfect active: Pennas Merui, although Pennis Meritis sounds better, if you can get past the ambiguity.

Final answer:

Pennam meam merita sum.

One wing only?

For something simple, I might have stupid errors. So someone else may correct me.

Who else? :rolleyes:

How odd - why did my quotes not work properly?

[edit - PP... one too many /quote ;)]

• 1 month later...