UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Reasons Not To Upset Your Spouse Or Significant Other

Spurius

Just reading this bit from the "Gladius" thread, and the reference to the brilliance of SCA members remined me of an old story.

My wife, who loves history as much as I (though she concentrates more on English history-especially the Regency period), had a brief flirtation with the SCA while in college. It didn't last very long but did generate some good interludes and meditations on "How can that brain generate enough electricity to make those legs go?" Any way, she and a full fledged fighter type were in an argument over the bow and how effective and/or overated it was in histories. My wife was (and is) good with a bow, so you know her stance. The fighter thought they were almost useless against well armored opponents, that the aimed firing rates were greatly exagerated and infantry could charge home faster than archers could aim and fire.

Finally a third party set up a contest. Bales and target were set up in the middle of a field, at the far end stood the fighter type. He would charge across the field while my wife would aim and shoot the target bales as often as she could before he crossed the line on her end.

At the breathless end of his sprint, much to the amusement of the witnesses, my wife had put three aimed shafts into the target. What cracked people up was her and the judge's comments while aiming-

(wife)"Leg shot" - *shoomp* - (Judge): "Hit!"

"Crotch " - *shoomp* - "Oww!"

"Head" - *shoomp* - "Left eye!"

Moral of the story: She's better with firearms. B)

LOL

I got into an argument with the guy I mentioned in the "gladius" thread over whether a shield was armor, or a weapon (his stance, the shield was armor. My stance, it is a "defensive weapon". Just look at how many people got cracked up alongside the head with a shield for proof B)) Oh yea, he also thought it was impossible to cut through chainmail (unless using a stilletto or such). I'll have to find the picture in Musem Replicas of a broadsword being used to slash through chainmail :P

I'm not knocking the SCA in any way. Just this particular guy :P