UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Parthians Are At It Again!

P.Clodius

It seems that this little bit was known for a year and a half. Why didn't the powers that be stop people from 'carrying' on tooth paste earlier? Or nabbing these terrorists earlier? Could it be that elections are at bat? Or a diversion is needed now?

The security services tend to leave arresting the suspects untill the last minute,that way they can get as much information out of the survailance as possible.If they arrested them as soon as they had an inkling of the threat then they'd only catch the lower level Terrorists.Its the Al Qaida members they really want to catch,and some were arrested in Pakistan according to the BBC news last night :ph34r: .

Thank you Scotland Yard.

Anyone know why the Metropolitan police building is called 'Scotland yard'?,its like the American's calling there FBI building 'Canada garden' or 'Mexico drive' ;) .

Longbow.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can go as far back as the Barbary Pirates. (The treaty with them, which is the law of the U.S., specified that the U.S. is not a Christian state.)

There will be elections in the U.S. though. Just as Israel could not move into Lebanon without the consent of the U.S., I believe that the Brits were told when to grab the current rats. Puts Iraq, Afganistan and Lebanon onto the sports pages.

We shouldn't be blind to 'some' of the idiocy coming from the buschia, nor should we be blind to the balance.

'Mission Accomplished'

Edited by Gaius Octavius

All the terrorists will do is hit and run like chickens with their heads cut off. The European Union must be destroyed and soon before it is a Totalitarian government.

The open door policy of Europe leaves it more than seceptible to attacks from Islam extremist. The U.S. rarely now has a case of severe subway bombings or airplane hijacking. Something has to be done to ensure the safety of their true citizens because that is who the terrorists seem to be targeting.

Or as the old Chinese addage goes:

"Prevention is better than cure."

Here, Here to that!

You should look at the wisdom of your own thinking, Moonlapse. Follow your own judgement, NOT that of others. Indeed, I am not sure that Government's are as Machiavellian in reality as the underminers would have us believe.

Cynicism may have it's place, but this is not a time for it IMHO.

Great post PP, I endorse every syllable.

Phil

There will be elections in the U.S. though. Just as Israel could not move into Lebanon without the consent of the U.S., I believe that the Brits were told when to grab the current rats.

I don't care who told who, or when, as long as they were arrested prior to killing people, I'm all for it. However, I personally have a much higher opinion of British sovereignty.

Puts Iraq, Afganistan and Lebanon onto the sports pages.

For what purpose and for how long... a few days? What does this accomplish? Nothing. Bush is not running again and he does not need a temporary popularity boost. And quite frankly, based on much of his behavior, it seems very doubtful that the guy is very worried about his lasting popular legacy. The guy may be a jackass on many issues, but one must admit he is rather steadfast even in the face of heavy criticism. He hardly displays the actions of someone trying to be popular.

The revelation of this plot is even far too early to seriously impact US mid term elections. In fact, it's so early the opposition party has plenty of opportunity to spin the entire incident against whomever they wish (much to the willing glee of the leftist media) before the voting even takes place. I'm sure the Republican powers that be are partying in the streets thanks to this 3 to 4 day respite from continuous media scrutiny.

[edit] Seems a good time to send this puppy to the arena :boxing:

Back when Bush was getting us into Iraq, and indeed all times before it, I believed for face value everything I was told by the government, and was pro-war for those reasons. In fact after 9/11 I was ready to join up if need be.

A few years later, knowing all that I know now about what they have really done, I cannot in good conscience believe what I hear at all any more for face value. I think it would be a mistake at this time for any American citizen to accept what they hear from the administration. In no small measure I think the Republic is in trouble.

Sure the middle east nations and terrorists are a problem, no one forgets that or denies it, the idea that anyone who is critical of this mess is somehow forgetful of that is taken by FOX News lies and distortion I think.

Just look at the long line of crimes and outrages! How can anyone take in the total deception of the Iraq war rationale, critical failures at Abu Garib, Gitmo, in Iraq. The deliberate screw up with Katrina in order to blacken the name of governmental agencies (paid for by those horrible taxes), election year dishonesty, outing of CIA members or soldiers who don't march in line when they bravely act as whistle blowers, the obvious corporate cronyism, all ruled over supposedly by a man who everyone admits is a bumbling idiot. How can one take this in and give any of it the benefit of the doubt? How many swaying terror color codes do we need thrown at us before we stop hiding under the tables? If you look back at when the successes against this war on terror occur, or increased terror levels, it is always after new negative scrutiny is placed on the current state of affairs, be it war setbacks, political controversy at home, or agitation abroad.

They've been playing us for fools for a long time now. Look, the earth's superpower, the winner of the cold war, is far too powerful and good at what it does to blindly stumble into a thing. The planned nature of so much is apparent. We

Despite all the other completely unrelated stuff being spewed about (look guys I don't care if you hate Bush... I don't like him either), nobody has yet to offer me a semblence of a legitimate reason for why the British intelligence would deliberately invent this stuff and how it would help anyone in the administration of the United States.

Despite all the other completely unrelated stuff being spewed about (look guys I don't care if you hate Bush... I don't like him either), nobody has yet to offer me a semblence of a legitimate reason for why the British intelligence would deliberately invent this stuff and how it would help anyone in the administration of the United States.

I think its fully plausible that the intelligence agencies of each of the major players in the middle east, Israel, US, Brition, would cooperate and coordinate their efforts. In fact it makes no sense that they would not be. The 'war' has a long history of either fear mongering (increasing terror levels due to 'chatter,' attacks in allied countries such as Spain or England who's support for the war wanes) or victories such as this one, that come at opportune times. Why now? Any big event like this has many tiers of effect that ripple through our world. Such a thing could strike fear into the heart of the opposition, a good thing. Take people's minds off the situation in Iraq and Lebanon, a bad thing. Give a positive track record of events leading up to November for the elections which could control congress since positive accomplishments are very scarce right now, a dubious thing. Increase oil speculation and prices due to fears of instability particularly now with the Alaskan pipelines suddenly going bad, good for Bush's corporate buddies.

Lets cut all the conspiracy theory rubbish and just face facts that there are people in the world today who are willing to die for the cause and don't care how many innocent people die with them just as long as the world know's that they mean business

As far as I am aware the suspects are of Pakistani origin - no connection with ancient or modern Parthia.

Phil

Parthia

And your point is?

Wikipedia isn't worth didddly-squat as a reference, either, thank you.

The map shown hardly makes Pakistan central to ancient Pathia either.

Phil

[Discussion of the bomb-plot removed on second thought!!]

Phil

Edited by phil25

No one can prove anything about these theories, other than those who have the highest levels of information available to them. That fact does not invalidate skepticism, the need to ask questions, nor the process of considering the possibilities. Why be hasty in dismissing the possibilities? I almost detect an overly quick rush towards passing things off as an endless list of remarkable coincidences. Make a list of the coincidences we have seen since 2000. I guarantee that at least a few are not.

At any rate, if our government is really so incompetent, and life so casual, it is a wonder we made it past the birth of the nuclear age.

You should look at the wisdom of your own thinking, Moonlapse. Follow your own judgement, NOT that of others. Indeed, I am not sure that Government's are as Machiavellian in reality as the underminers would have us believe.

Cynicism may have it's place, but this is not a time for it IMHO.

Great post PP, I endorse every syllable.

Phil

What did I really say about the situation, other than ask questions? I may have made some implications based on personal suspicion, but until more verifiable details of this incident are provided, I'm not going to ignore my curiosity. If the situation turns out to be what it seems, then thats great. If its not, then I'll be glad I didn't just swallow everything fed to me.

How many facts do you really know about the situation? Should you accept everything you hear as a fact and place complete trust the people/organizations/affiliations/corporations/states supplying it? As soon as people cease to question media, it can become a tool instead of a service.

In my opinion, there simply comes a point when one has to make a judgement, Moonlapse.

I think one of the great failings of the modern era is this fence sitting - this waiting to see. Indecisiveness if you like. It's an infectious, mesmeric "manana" syndrome that smacks to me of cynicism (in some cases) apathy and lethargy.

Of course, one should not jump to conclusions, but we are gifted with common sense and should use it. Otherwise Doomsday will come while we are still rehearsing!! (And while my analogy may be religious I am not talking Christianity here.)

A mentor of mine once said we need three "G"s in life: Grace; Greek and gumption. (Gumption is a synonym for commonsense or "nous" in the UK.

You can, he said, attain Grace and learn Greek - but if you do not have gumption, heaven help you!!

Well. I think in cases such as the bomb plot just revealed, we need to use our gumption, not sit on the fence avoiding the issues.

But you must do as you please.

Phil