UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome Total War

Francis

were batlles actually that big, and romans and their enemies that fierce when they charged?

would actual roman calvary (or any calvary for that matter) was their charge actually that devestating, can they really damage a roman shield wall in the way it is portrayed in the game?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutly! That's what makes this game great, its attention to detail. This is no arcade game, hell it's almost a scholarly work (especially if you get Rome Total Realism mod).

Actually though battles could often be much bigger, that's the only thing. But one can imagine it still in the mind's eye.

and so will a real horse, calvary, actually charge straigh through a shield wall? or will in stop or slow down, and not make actual contact?

If the cavalry would stop, then they would get killed! If they didn't make actual contact, why would you use them?

The vanilla version of RTW is accurate in some respect, but if you want unit and event accuracy get Rome Total Realism.

The naked fanatics are actually naked...

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

so battles were even bigger than what they have on rome total war?

and so will a real horse, calvary, actually charge straigh through a shield wall? or will in stop or slow down, and not make actual contact?

Shield walls slow, cavalry can overide, the right skilled cavalry archers can take 'Parthian Shots.' The Phalanx is brutal head on. Skirmishers truly skirmish and are able to keep out of range of heavy infantry. You can scale walls with ladders and tear them down with rams and undermining. Some barbarians don't listen to orders, and the magnetic personality of a great name makes a difference.

would actual roman calvary (or any calvary for that matter) was their charge actually that devestating, can they really damage a roman shield wall in the way it is portrayed in the game?

Cavalry is used to get behind the formations and charge the troops from behind,doing it this way is devastating but if you charge your horses into a formed up shield wall they'll be killed without many losses to the Infantry.I suppose it depends on how you are using your Horses in the game,in reality if a Cavalry unit charged into a Century who were expecting them the Cavalry would lose.

I dont know about Roman Cavalry but Medieval Destriers would canter up to the formation and only charge the last few strides,this as a lot to do with the weight of the animal.Destriers were Big Horses not the Thoroughbred breed we see in the movies,they were more like a Clydesdale in size and with the weight of the armour too it was impossible for them to charge at full gallop.

can someone explain step by step I dont undertand all the computer terms

You have to uninstall the game because the realism MOD is a full conversion,there's a lot of files to be changed.Its really worth doing m8 you wont be dissapointed.

1 uninstall the game then reinstall and add the official patch.

2 once you've added the patch download the 6.0 RTR MOD from the site allready posted,its a free MOD there's no cash involved :yes: .

3Install the MOD once you've downloaded it,its really easy to do just follow the instructions.

4Now you can play the game.

Longbow

how do i get rome total realism?

so battles are even bigger?

in real life?

Yes, battles were much larger. On "normal" setting, there are 40 men in a standard infantry unit. Say you have 20 units. That makes 800. Suppose you double that for Large setting 1600. I have never played on huge setting, but it probably makes 2400. That may seem like a lot of men, but lets take a real battle.

At Alesia, Caeser had about 60,000 men, I believe. The besieged army I think had 80,000, and the relief army and 250,000-300,000. That make the game figures seem tiny. It is the speed of our computers that prevent truly realistic battles.

Also, in RTR, it is highly recommended that you do NOT charge disiplined infantry head on with cavalry. They will get bogged down, and once that happens, they fight like regular soldiers, just on horses. Because there a usually less of them than infantry, they get routed pretty quickly. I find a great tactic is to hold the enemy with your own infantry and bring your cavalry to their back. A charge their will route most units.

Also, in RTR the units are more balanced. The phalanxes are no longer super-duper killamatics. A head-on attack won't destroy your infantry anymore, but will still do considerable damage. Also, with cavalry, the initial charge is the only thing cavalry are good for. Even then they take some losses because men fall off the horse when they impact a wall of men.

The only thing I don't like is the province-building system. It takes way too long for my taste, but it did take a while to make a client-state provincial back then. I love all the cities, and the campaign map truly brings out the feeling of the territories. Illyria feels so barbarian/hellenisticly influenced.

Watch out for the naked fanatics. Hehe.

I noticed that when engaging in a bridge battle, phalanxes on RTR are unstoppable when place correctly. I was able to conquer most of Asia just by stratically placing phalanx armies over various bridges.

Edited by WotWotius

I notice that when engaging in a bridge battle, phalanxes on RTR are unstoppable when place correctly. I was able to conquer most of Asia just by stratically placing phalanx armies over various bridges.

Just as in ancient times, the forges and bridges are vitally important. ;)

Course, you are fighting just a computer. It's really too bad they never made a multiplayer campaign mode.

It's really too bad they never made a multiplayer campaign mode.

I was going to say that myself! It would be virtually impossible to coordinate with people and their ever-crappy connections, but I could see it under a lan connection. Activision needs to dump Gayspy, I'm soo sick of it. If you play a game enough you know how the computer works, so conquering the map isn't a challenge anymore... however a multiplayer campaign would get me addicted all over again.