UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Discussion Forum Experiment

Primus Pilus

No one is arguing that the ancients should be taken at face value. The argument is that common sense is not sufficient--not that it's not necessary.

It is admirable to use fact and resource in all things Cato, I totally agree with you on this. In fact I doubt that we are of different opinion here on this, just maybe misunderstand each other in what we are saying. You yourself just now say that we cannot take the ancients for face value. If we cannot then what are we doing in its place? Forming conjectures, rationalizing, applying common sense to our doubts of Livy's estimates of total numbers of enemy dead, or the number of times the temple of Jupiter was struck by lightning.

Doing so is the necessary glue which binds the few facts we have of the ancient world togeather in order to form an understanding of what went on in those days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about :

1. Aggripa (His life).

2. The training of the legions. (There is a start to this in the Forum somewhere.)

3. Commentary on the philosophy of Titus Lucretius Carus.

4. The governing system of Diocletian - its set up, strengths and faults.

5. Commentary on the plays of Titus Maccius Plautus. (The Pot of Gold.)

6. Laws governing slaves and their masters.

7. Business and economics.

I mean for these topics (and others) to be submitted together at one time. I believe that there should be a number of topics at one time to engender the interest of members in their preferred areas for Academia. Some will need citation; others well considered commentary. Perhaps topics should be submitted and seconded for consideration.

Volunteer Tyrants (editors) could apply for each topic in private messages. The present moderators know who the quacks are and who the serious contributors are.

I think this is a fabulous idea in general. I can see how it would prove very useful and interesting. Might I suggest anther topic as well, because this is one that university students (mine anyway!!) would find very useful

The Gracchi

I suggest this because it is certainly one of the most contentious areas in Roman Republican History and certainly one of the most frequently studied at University or College.

Edited by sullafelix

• 4 weeks later...

In my case, I have no time to put together much of anything, either on the question or the answer side. A bit too time-consuming for me right now. Hopefully, though, people can keep it going...it's a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...