UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Discussion Forum Experiment

Primus Pilus

How about a topic on the day-to-day of life inside the legions? You know, the training, food, discipline, living quarters, etc. This is a topic that interests me greatly, unfortunately I have little information on the subject.

This is the first idea. Good work L_W. Gaius seconds it! Any other seconds?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do it, if no one minds the fact that I don't have much info lol.

You don't necessarily have to post. Once the topic is accepted, and a Tyrant(?) is named, then we all have at it with our contributions. Wait a bit until the 'citation' business is clarified and the Forum is set up. (It may already be up, but I don't know.)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Everything is completely ready to go, we'll need someone to take the lead on this particular subject. This is not a personal historical strong point for me, but I'll do it for the sake of having an example topic.

So specially...the topic is the Life in the Legions...as LW suggested and all agrees.

Or is something else you have in mind Primus.

May I suggest another topic: What events and circumstances transformed the Republic into Empire.

Everything is completely ready to go, we'll need someone to take the lead on this particular subject. This is not a personal historical strong point for me, but I'll do it for the sake of having an example topic.

So would I, if someone more knowledgeable doesn't want it.

Some more ideas:

One for Pertinax, a thread about Roman medicine! :lol:

Julius Caesar's role in paving the way for the conversion from Republic to Empire.

The religious structure and practice in Ancient Rome (another subject near and dear to my heart)

Care and feeding of Gladiators (needs a better title than that, lol but I couldn't resist)

Edited by Lost_Warrior

So would I, if someone more knowledgeable doesn't want it.

Some more ideas:

One for Pertinax, a thread about Roman medicine! :lol:

Julius Caesar's role in paving the way for the conversion from Republic to Empire.

The religious structure and practice in Ancient Rome (another subject near and dear to my heart)

Care and feeding of Gladiators (needs a better title than that, lol but I couldn't resist)

Those are all great. Pertinax will no doubt lead the Medicine topic. Lost Warrior fancies Roman Religion and Gladiators.

But I still suggest a topic on The transition of Republic into Empire, what were the main circumstances, events, and key players.

It is a great ideea. As I write from my workplace it will be harder for me to get citation of sources.

And all my books are in romanian :lol:

I'm not sure what a source will be: only ancient writers or also modern historians?

Internet resources count, if provided link?

If we start with the legion then arheology will play a key role so modern historians can not be neglected despite sometimes conflicting opinions.

Also we have here more areas, not only Rome. The problems about other populations connected with romans (like Parthia) or post roman empire (like the franks) will be covered?

Edited by Kosmo

We still need to figure out how this will be moderated. I think naming a different moderator for each thread will turn out to be an organizational disaster. Perhaps create a new Moderation group? There would limited biasing because each topic is drastically different and probably out of the scope of the individual(s).