UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Discussion Forum Experiment

Primus Pilus

The Academic forum is a great idea, as it is opposed to the Arena, where anything goes. BUT, let us please try to keep the rest of the boards closer to Academia than to Arena--if you're not going to cite chapter and verse, at least cite facts to support your opinion. It's not fair to have a perfectly good discussion interrupted with so many "Hail Caesar!"-type comments that the whole thing gets tossed to the Arena.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not fair to have a perfectly good discussion interrupted with so many "Hail Caesar!"-type comments that the whole thing gets tossed to the Arena.

Same could be said for "Queen of Bythinia" or "Darling of Venus" type remarks. There nothing wrong with a Hail Caesar folks providing it is backed up with some meat.

Hail Caesar

Same could be said for "Queen of Bythinia" or "Darling of Venus" type remarks. There nothing wrong with a Hail Caesar folks providing it is backed up with some meat.

All I care about is the evidence--you can hail whomever you'd like (even your Queen of Bithynia). :lol:

F.C., Let me be presumptuous and try:

I suggest the topic 'Caesar' but I indicate that I am not qualified. M.P. Cato volunteers to be Tyrant (or whatever). If he has a bias, it will not come into play, as he is too intelligent to let it come into play and he knows that this is going into the UNRV data base, if successful. Someone - anyone posts:

Caesar was born in the Subura (citation) Accepted.

Next poster:

His parents were Greek (Joes book) - Out- Not accepted by any authority.

Another poster:

His parents were Romans. (citation) -In

Another poster:

He won the battles of Alesia and Zama. (Mike's book or error) - Edited - Zama goes out

Another:

He was a meathead. No citation and gutter talk. Out

Next:

Poster #2 you're a moron. - Personal affront - Out, adds nothing to the composition.

Next:

One of Ceasars murdermen wa s Britas. In- Edited to- One of Caesar's assassins was Brutus.

Result to UNRV:

Caesar was born in the Subura. His parents were Romans. He won the battle of Alesia. One of his assassins was Brutus.

The Caesar was a meathead post could go to the arena for fun and sarcasm.

Think of it in terms of a book being written by a committee with a chairman.

I hope that I am correct. If not P.P. will make it right.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

It seems clear to me that the cause of all this is just that someone is fedup with the Arena forum. Well hello, the consequence what you say in the Arena is subjected to criticism of the malevolent kind, in fact, with the level of intelligence and very outspoken personalities on UNRV now, it is assured someone will disagree with you. Even with the Academia, you'll put forth one view or just a subject...but even the citations are subjected to severe criticism. Another point, the sources is also like debating in Arena. People will claim this or that source is nonsense and that leads to another argument.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Another point, the sources is also like debating in Arena. People will claim this or that source is nonsense and that leads to another argument.

You can only dispute sources with other sources (op. cit., PP iv).

Well you said my intention. There's a very good possibility of one source that will challenge(disclaim) another source. So who will you believe is right?

Another point, the sources is also like debating in Arena. People will claim this or that source is nonsense and that leads to another argument.

Well you said my intention. There's a very good possibility of one source that will challenge(disclaim) another source. So who will you believe is right?

As in other situations of this kind, both views would be included by the editor.

It is not taking the place of the arena or any other forum.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

As in other situations of this kind, both views would be included by the editor.

I hope so to God that he does not turn the flaws of Academia into an Arena.

But the question of editor, will we have enough for each topic because I sure know people would just love to voice out and support out their understanding vigorously

I hope so to God that he does not turn the flaws of Academia into an Arena.

But the question of editor, will we have enough for each topic because I sure know people would just love to voice out and support out their understanding vigorously

The Tyrant, moderator or whatever she is called will, after the topic is set, take part in the composition, if she chooses, on the same terms as all others. Someone has to have the last say in the matter. It must be assumed that the chairman is an honest, knowledgeable person.

The idea for this came up as Gaius was editing my Romulus Augustulus paper. The idea behind this is to gather information on a topic- in a sense that several people put forward information in a manner that can be used to write an article. I had extremely limited access to sources on the topic of my article. If Jimmy had info to supplement an area of my article I was lacking, he could cite his book I don't have access to and add to the article. This is intended to accumulate knowledge-- not to whole-heartedly discuss and debate.

...And stop freaking out people. The citing would only be required in this sub-forum. Read. :lol:

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

Yes, let's all reserve judgement until after the first few threads are used as an "experiment."

Of course, for those so interested, I am running a secret pool on which member is the first to break the rules of the new forum. You may contact me in private to place your bets.

This is an idea from community members to involve community members in a collaborative effort that can potentially benefit the knowledge of community members. Not only that, but despite (or perhaps because of) any *gasp* disagreements or *gasp* misinformation that will need to be settled, this usually creates a stronger and more enjoyable community. Just try to be a little open minded to trying new activities with everyone at least until its been put to the test.