UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Discussion Forum Experiment

Primus Pilus

If finding textual sources is this horrible...would you allow legitimiate online resources that usually are .edu(which basically means colleges and universities).

I don't think this cuts it--primary source material (including physical and linguistic evidence) is basic, though obviously secondary sources are invaluable in interpreting this material and offering pointers to basic evidence.

Also, let's not exaggerate the difficulty here. With practice, this will get easier because you'll develop a knowledge base of where to find materials on-line, which can be searched quickly. Also, as more contributions come in, a veritable arsenal of citations will accumulate, and you'll notice patterns in the citations that will make for easier access later.

As Spinoza says, "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If finding textual sources is this horrible...would you allow legitimiate online resources that usually are .edu(which basically means colleges and universities).

I don't think this cuts it--primary source material (including physical and linguistic evidence) is basic, though obviously secondary sources are invaluable in interpreting this material and offering pointers to basic evidence.

Also, let's not exaggerate the difficulty here. With practice, this will get easier because you'll develop a knowledge base of where to find materials on-line, which can be searched quickly. Also, as more contributions come in, a veritable arsenal of citations will accumulate, and you'll notice patterns in the citations that will make for easier access later.

As Spinoza says, "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."

In my opinion, it should be at the Tyrant's discretion as to whether to accept any citation. Yet, any citation could be accepted with a proper introductory notation.

I should add that I included a bomb in one of my footnotes for the benefit of dear Clodius.

Not seen..However everyones posts as a whole are quality material. Coincidentaly the subject happens to lead/derive from a subject which I was thinking of developing on pre-Gracchan popularist politics. Unfortunately I cannot sitdown and concentrate to develop such before before the weekend of 9/8.

It is nice! Good job!

But I expected more of a debate.

Keep in mind.. I made up the topic of the top of my head without knowing even if it was possible to manipulate the sources to support me. It's why I called it a simple topic, because I'm operating from an unknown premise just to build a sample for people to refer to.

The 'sample' is turning into the real thing!

I should add that I included a bomb in one of my footnotes for the benefit of dear Clodius.

Not seen..However everyones posts as a whole are quality material. Coincidentaly the subject happens to lead/derive from a subject which I was thinking of developing on pre-Gracchan popularist politics. Unfortunately I cannot sitdown and concentrate to develop such before before the weekend of 9/8.

Bithynia?

Clearly as MPC pointed out a few posts back, we are going to have an issue where we may need filter topics for more casual discussion. Such conversations, while perhaps less academic may help flush out other ideas and concepts. Clearly this thing may have to evolve over time.

Primus I'll respond to your post in the other thread here so as not to clutter it with administrational posts. I'll strive to provide you with as much direct reference as I can when I get home later, but the ideas I mention are all exactly in those three books I provided with some of my own interpretation. The very nature of ancient history is such that we have to interpret often in our own way, fill in blanks as it were. Things like Scipio's realpolitik view of the east is more or less my own amalgamation of various input.

I guess I am not clear as to where the lines are drawn between being able to interpret the past in such a way, or where we must stick absolutely to what is recorded for the purposes of this exercise. Great leaders do not always reveal all that is on their mind before they die, so you are left with trying to figure out their objectives. In fact most of the recorded history and reference which we cite is exactly another man putting in his opinions of times before him. If there is no room for personal input, I

Primus I'll respond to your post in the other thread here so as not to clutter it with administrational posts. I'll strive to provide you with as much direct reference as I can when I get home later, but the ideas I mention are all exactly in those three books I provided with some of my own interpretation. The very nature of ancient history is such that we have to interpret often in our own way, fill in blanks as it were. Things like Scipio's realpolitik view of the east is more or less my own amalgamation of various input.

I guess I am not clear as to where the lines are drawn between being able to interpret the past in such a way, or where we must stick absolutely to what is recorded for the purposes of this exercise. Great leaders do not always reveal all that is on their mind before they die, so you are left with trying to figure out their objectives. In fact most of the recorded history and reference which we cite is exactly another man putting in his opinions of times before him. If there is no room for personal input, I