UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Great Battles

To start off, I'm from Norway, and I don't have (easy) access to the History Channel. But I downloaded (perfectly legally, of course :thumbsup: ) a recreation of the battle of Pharsalus from the HC, with animation taken from the excellent game Rome:Total War. My question is this:

Does any one know if more great roman battles have been recreated in this way, cause I think it worked pretty well, and would love to see Teutoberg, Cannae, and other massive battles portrayed like this :P

Also, on a side note, I wondered whether any one of you guys have tried your hands at using the map creator in Total War to recreate battles? That would be totally cool :)

Does any one know if more great roman battles have been recreated in this way, cause I think it worked pretty well, and would love to see Teutoberg, Cannae, and other massive battles portrayed like this :thumbsup:

I haven't seen any of them, but I understand that there are several. I believe its called Time Team and I vaguely recall a version of it that originated with the BBC.

That would be Time Commanders,the first series was good but the second series was a bit of a dissapointment to me.Probably because of that irritating little ponce Richard Hammond who hosted the show.If you scrool down the link it shows which Battles they reproduced.

Longbow

That would be Time Commanders,the first series was good but the second series was a bit of a dissapointment to me.Probably because of that irritating little ponce Richard Hammond who hosted the show.If you scrool down the link it shows which Battles they reproduced.

Longbow

The RTW engine was also used in the show Decisive Battles, on the History Channel.

Another military History program which uses credible computer graphics (though it does not used the RTW engine), is Battlefield Britain: presented by the father and son historian duo, Peter and Dan Snow.

This is all great you guys, listing all the shows, and your opinions of them. But, and this is the great but, does any one have any idea where I could get these shows?? I have, as I stated in the beginning, downloaded the Pharsalus battle, and I would love more programs. Please provide me with internetlinks, torrentpointers, or any other way for me to get these shows. Much obliged :thumbsup:

The main problem is expense; these things are overpriced for sure. I just joined a private-tracker invitation-only torrent network at tvtorrents.com, specialized in tracking TV-torrents, but I couldn't find it there either. If any one gets their hands one on of these, you should share them by torrents (which is perfectly legal, even in roman terms) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent! The original Rome: total war is finally being used for something that vaguely relates to History. I particularly like the used of Hans Zimmer's score from Gladiator.

Edited by WotWotius

I didn't like the triumphal music as the legions were being surrounded... :rolleyes: I thought it was pretty good though. I should show you guys some of my Rome: Total War videos. :)

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

• 3 weeks later...

That was an amazing video. As far as I can tell, very accurate, and very cool.

The triumphant music was for Hannibal and the Carthaginians, not for the outmanueverd and soon to be slaughtered Romans. I thought the one scene where there was the last Roman soldier fighting before he got cut down and very (for lack of a better word) sentimental scene.

If it was just a video of a big battle, I would not have been very impressed, but as a rather historical recreation of Cannae, I thought it was very good.

I saw an episode for the battle of Gaugamela on a site back in late 2004, early 2005 although I believe it was a countdown site for Alexander and it has since been removed.

If I remember correctly a lot of those battles were made using the Beta version of the game. You can now find reconstructions of the battle of Asculum on Youtube using RTR engine although unfortunately it doesn't have any sound.