UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Total War

Krackalackin

Thanks for the suggestion Pertinax! I had already begun downloading the demo. Needless to say it doesn't work. My computer's RAM, Processor, disk speed, disk space etc were all good enough, yet my graphics card wasn't up to it - it's too primitive. I think it's 64 MB when I need 128 MB.

I haven't played any computer games for months so it is not that big a loss.

I cant get the demo to work either!i just get a error report :lol:

i'll wait till the games out before i start buying new bits :D .

If you want to try the demo,you can get it Here hassle free.

Playing as the Macedons i killed an entire Thracian Army at the front gates ,daft buggers just kept trying to push through my Phalanxes .

Same here! :D I am usually Greece, and the Roman try to capture my settlements in Southern Italy. I stack them all up around the gates. If there is a gap I fill it completely and if they plan to attack with the rams I anticipate. As they come I stack the entire phalanx along the gate and watch something Greece failed to do, neutrilize Rome. B)

I got this game last Christmas and it ruined my life. OK, I'm being overdramatic. I played it virutally around the clock for three months until I conquered the world as the Julii, Brutii, Scipii, Carthaginians and Egyptians. It also gave me a rudimentary knowledge of ancient geography -- so when I'd watch a show on the History Channel and they'd mention a place like Susa, I'd say, "Conquered it."

Thanks for the link longbow. Will go get it and give it a shot.

Agree with last post in that a wonderful feeling comes over you when watching these progs and one can say, nonchalently as you like too, '..been there, done it and wiped them from the face of...' etc. B)

I cant get the demo to work either!i just get a error report

i'll wait till the games out before i start buying new bits

I might buy a new computer sometime, but that might not be for several more months. Either way by that time Medieval 2: Total war's expansion pack will have been released. :D

Playing as the Macedons i killed an entire Thracian Army at the front gates ,daft buggers just kept trying to push through my Phalanxes .

I liked doing that when I was playing as the Greeks or Macedonians. I remember once I only had about 250 or 300 levy hoplites to defend a city on the coast of Asia Minor against a Pontic army of over a thousand men. I set my phalanxes on all the roads leading to the town center and hundreds of Persian spearmen and swordsmen, even horse archers and the General's bodyguard threw themselves at me and ended up being slaughtered to a man. Those who ran away I didn't chase, so they ended up turning back to face me even more exhausted while my troops remained fresh. That city was attacked several more times by the Pontians before I manged to sail reinforcements to them. Later on those hoplites took part in the battles that single-handedly destroyed the Pontic Empire and conquered all of Pontus and Armenia. They played a part in all of those battles and the general that commanded them recieved ten stars and numerous military virtues and a good retinue. Later on they were slaughtered by a Egyptian army full of horse archers, phalanxes, chariots, axe-men etc and the general was killed.

I still haven't figured out how to capture standards :wine:. I had an unfortunate encounter and voluntarily force-retreated a damage equites unit, and it said they captured my eagle! I took the town it was in but it never mentioned me getting it back. >:(