UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your screen name

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Asclepiades ("son of Asclepios", Greek god of medicine, or something like that) was a common name in the Hellenistic Asia Minor, especially common, as you can imagine, among physicians. The most famous was the first one, A. of Prusa (or Bithynia), supposedly the first Greek physician with a successful practice at Rome (end of 2nd Century BC).

I choose this name because it was my first available selection.

Thank you for your kind invitation to this thread, GPM.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

My name -- Flavia Gemina -- is the name of the main character in my novels The Roman Mysteries. Flavia is a kind of first century AD Nancy Drew, an equestrian and only daughter of the widower Marcus Flavius Geminus, a sea captain. I am like Flavia in that I am a bossy know-it-all. I am UNLIKE Flavia in that I am NOT blonde, blue-eyed and 11 years old! :lol:

Oh nice bump this one. Anyway might just as well post my nick. Nothing strange about it it's just what I've always been called by friends who're not too close. It's short for my last name Klingborg. Actually Klingan means blade too in Swedish but I've never really reflected upon that. it's just a pure fluke.

An interesting thread there.

For mine, I have to admit, I named myself Miguel after a character in the WB cartoon The Road to El Dorado whose name is Miguel. It happens years ago, that I don't often use this name as screen name now. I am actually looking for a cool name for myself but I am worried that you guys would not recognize me!

...It's short for my last name Klingborg. Actually Klingan means blade too in Swedish...

I thought maybe you were a Star Trek fan... but that's 'Klingon'! :lol:

...It's short for my last name Klingborg. Actually Klingan means blade too in Swedish...

I thought maybe you were a Star Trek fan... but that's 'Klingon'! :lol:

Haha I've heard that one before, but nope it has nothing to do what so ever with Star Trek.

Long long ago (around 2000) i started playing a online game called Runescape, back then i played in a viking clan and all had nordish names, in accordance to the viking theme i named myself Viggen which means thunderbolt in swedish, i got so attached to it that i stuck with it as my online name till today...

cheers

viggen

Because I am as stubborn as Flavia Gemina's mule.

Because I am as stubborn as Flavia Gemina's mule.

But twice as cute! :lol:

I'm "Nephele" because Nephele is part of an anagram of my actual name -- the full anagram of "Nephele Carnal" being the screen name I've used for years on various goth message boards where I have somewhat of a reputation for providing "dark", gothic-style anagrams of people's names. (Although on one message board for strippers, my stripper anagram names are pretty popular.)

I dropped the "Carnal" and kept the "Nephele" for here because it's a classical name and seems to suit this board better.

There are several Nepheles mentioned in Greek myth, and perhaps my favorite is the Nephele who is one of the six attendants of the goddess Diana named by Ovid in his Metamorphoses (in the story of Actaeon and his hounds).

I wouldn't mind being that Nephele, an attendant of Diana, because Diana/Artemis is my favorite goddess, I like dogs, and I would especially hope that Diana would let me keep Actaeon's hounds as pets (after they got through gnawing on Actaeon).

-- Nephele

My name -- Flavia Gemina -- is the name of the main character in my novels The Roman Mysteries. Flavia is a kind of first century AD Nancy Drew, an equestrian and only daughter of the widower Marcus Flavius Geminus, a sea captain. I am like Flavia in that I am a bossy know-it-all. I am UNLIKE Flavia in that I am NOT blonde, blue-eyed and 11 years old! ;)

OK i know im going a tad off-topic but i have to say if you are indeed Caroline Lawrence that i absolutely adored your books and continue to. thanks heaps for setting a fictional story for younger readers in ancient Rome.

anyway

Nephele you already told us its an anagram of your name :lol: