UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The All-Time 100 Best Albums

Virgil61

Yeah, no good. Way to biased

The Beatles are great but there is no reason they should monopolize the 60's.

Is Neil Young's 'ATGR' really better than 'Heart of Gold'? :huh:

Is the Band's album 'The Band' really better than 'Music from Big Pink'? (That's neck & neck to me)

Where is 'Eat a Peach'!?! ;)

I also agree that The anthologies are bad

Agree with everyone - there are some very dubious albums on there. Like Julius, have to agree with the inclusion of Hunky Dory (and Ziggy, to be fair), but then I am unashamedly biased, as Bowie is one of my heroes to this day. But Floyd are a huge omission. And if we're talking influential, where the hell is Hendrix?

The only one on there that would have made my top 100 list was probobly David Bowie's Hunky Dory. They could have used The Man Who Sold The World, though. And where was Rammstein's Sehnsucht?

I am opposed to Rammstein unless (edit) these fellow Germans are allowed on the list as well:

153.jpg

heino.jpg

Edited by Virgil61

I am opposed to Rammstein unless (edit) these fellow Germans are allowed on the list as well:

No no no... they should have made the list too... Rosenrot was beautiful... Reise Reise too...

And if we're talking influential, where the hell is Hendrix?

He's here.

Ah, cheers, PP - I missed it. One of my senior moments.....

You know, as I give the list a few more gloss-overs, I'm finding that it is actually quite good. There are still the omissions based on various tastes, and over representations of some bands, but I suppose "influence" is a hard thing to measure.

As much as it pains me, here's an omission that hasn't been mentioned yet: Kiss, yes, Kiss. Admittedly Kiss is among the worst bands ever assembled (imo, of course), but did they or did they not influence an entire generation of spandex clad, makeup wearing glam rock? Despite the ridiculous nature of some of that genre, influence is influence.

As much as it pains me, here's an omission that hasn't been mentioned yet: Kiss, yes, Kiss. Admittedly Kiss is among the worst bands ever assembled (imo, of course), but did they or did they not influence an entire generation of spandex clad, makeup wearing glam rock? Despite the ridiculous nature of some of that genre, influence is influence.

Not sure. Did they pre-date Bowie? He was the biggest influence for the glam rock revolution on this side of the Pond, but it may well have been a different source for you in the US. I'm not sure wat dates Kiss spanned - only that they were 70s. Then of course, there was Alice! We've forgotten him. Does he pre-date Kiss?

Ah, this is so nostalgic..... :D

Not sure. Did they pre-date Bowie? He was the biggest influence for the glam rock revolution on this side of the Pond, but it may well have been a different source for you in the US. I'm not sure wat dates Kiss spanned - only that they were 70s. Then of course, there was Alice! We've forgotten him. Does he pre-date Kiss?

Ah, this is so nostalgic..... :D

Don't get me wrong here, I am not at all trying to suggest that there weren't earlier, bigger or better influences musically, but Kiss helped usher in the notion that the music didn't matter as long as there was a ridiculous display on stage to distract everyone's attention. What I am trying to say is that perhaps negative influence should be considered as well.