UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Thanksgiving speech

As corny as it sounds, I am thankful for UNRV.

This site helps keep me grounded. In real life I have not met many people who share my intellectual interests. When I came here I was pleased to find fellow Romanophiles and lovers of history. I even met a pagan or three (fancy that). I usually check in after a not-always-pleasant day at work and enjoy the solace that derives from the presence of equals.

When I first came I immediately felt a respect for our mature and knowledgeable triad of administrators, as well as some of the other core members at the time (who are now all Patricians). It is remarkable to see how the site has grown since the summer of 2004 and attracted many great individuals, even a few scholars among them.

To the Triumviri: thanks for being one of the net

Not corny at all Ursus.

I echo your sentiments in all matters, but must add words of thanks to you, the iron fist of reasoned restraint. So willing to give of your time and yourself for this community. An inspiration to me from the time I first stumbled across UNRV and could not help but stay.

Corny or not, I'm thankful that this community is made up of the sort of people who would post such thoughts. Our intention was simply to have a place to discuss Roman history... I certainly never imagined I would've developed so many personal relationships in the pursuit of that discussion.

Thanks to all.

As a non-American on the site, may I just say that I think your festival of Thanksgiving is a damned good one and one that we should have in England. It could replace the vile Bonfire Night! I do think it is right that we take a moment now and then to be thankful for things, and whether we thank a deity, or just our fellow human beings, I think the sentiment is wonderful and certainly NOT corny.

Like Ursus and others I am thankful for this site, for after thirty-odd years in the wilderness where I was met with blank looks if I mentioned Cicero or Septimius Severus, and where the majority of my associates seemed to think that Caligula = Malcolm McDowell, I am now in heaven with like-minded souls who provide mental stimulus and a welcome chuckle or two.

Thank you UNRV :lol:

Well spoken Ursus , and I saw nothing corny at all in that speech.It is a happy thing to find community of mind and spirit outside of the normal workday world. I feel greater kinship to people here , who I have never sen than many who cross my path on a daily basis.

It's funny how some people feel that they might be perceived as being corny for expressing a true sense of thankfulness. Silly, innit?

As for me, I am thankful that the Fates (or whatever) lined things up so that I would 'discover' this site, and the knowledge which is encased here. A great resource, both of information and of people, and that's great.

Mostly, I'm thankful that I live in a world and in a society where I can read and disseminate information at will, without repercussion and with a very high chance of learning more than I ever thought possible. I thank all of you for that, as well as encourage everyone (including myself...sheesh, I'm tired!) to continue in this spirit. :D