UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Santa moves in mysterious ways....

The Augusta

Boxing Day - a holiday for us in the UK. We always go to my brother-in-law's for a serious celebration, which is always good fun. However, this time, when hiding out from rampaging youngsters in his computer room, I found a shelf of new books. It seems our Gordon has expanded his horizons. He had Barrett's Caligula and Levick's Vespasian on his shelves, both of which I hijacked immediately - with his permission. Believe me, finds like this among my family are rare indeed...... Thank you Santa.

Did anyone else have a welcome Roman surprise over the holidays?

Edited by The Augusta

I finally got the 'Rome' box set which I've been waiting ages for!

I also got ' Spartacus' on DVD, I've already got it on VHS but the DVDs got loads more extras, so all in all as far as Rome goes Santa was pretty generous :D

I got myself (I'm currently single, so I CAN buy myself presents!) 'Fall of Rome' by Ward Perkins. And a new rear tyre for my BSA Motorbike.

On the way to the family from Seattle I stopped in Portland (Oregon) at Powell's bookstore. Powell's may be the single largest bookstore in the US covering one whole city block and a couple of floors with new and used books interspersed with each other. I got my son a $500 gift certificate and picked up excellent quality used copies of JFC Fuller's Caesar, Kahn's Education of Julius Caesar, Niall Ferguson's Collapse, WT Sherman's Memoirs, and Cavalla-Sforza's The Great Human Diasporas all for under $30.

My Italian mother of course is more sensible. She got me socks, underwear and a Columbia fleece jacket.

Edited by Virgil61