UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Winter?

Kosmo

A warm sun shines everyday in the sky. Until now only few cold days and some snow that melts when touches the warm land. Usually winter it's very cold here with blizzards blowing from Scythia. Last winter the sea was so frozen in Tomis (Constanta) yacht port that cars could drive over it and it was like this for weeks. Yesterday, the sun was so bright that I could hardly play Rome Total War because of the light in the room so I went in the park with my dog and I was too dressed for the 15 C. A sweter it's enough! here in Bucharest! in mid january! I don't recall any winter like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Kosmo. I was reading that Bulgaria (close to you in Romania) has closed 600 of its 3000 schools due to a flu epidemic. its thought that the extremely mild winter has failed to kill off the bugs.

Ursus. I wish I had your confidence that this was just part of the cycle. The statistics show a steady increase in temperature that will melt the ice caps.

Here, in the Heart of America, we got some snow last night. Not really enough to have caused too many car wrecks. The provinces and outlying districts are taking it on the chin though. georgie-poo's Canadian enemies are getting even with him. Shipping all their Wind southward. I, personally, think that he has God ticked off. El Nino isn't cooperating and the Gulf Stream has shifted.

Ursus. I wish I had your confidence that this was just part of the cycle. The statistics show a steady increase in temperature that will melt the ice caps.

Because we are at the point of the cycle where temperatures are increasing. Long before humanity grew into the scourge of greenpeace, the earth went through cycles of ice age and warming. We have been in a warming period for some time after the colder period of the middle ages.

One perspective

Because we are at the point of the cycle where temperatures are increasing. Long before humanity grew into the scourge of greenpeace, the earth went through cycles of ice age and warming. We have been in a warming period for some time after the colder period of the middle ages.

One perspective

Agreed. I don't believe that humans can destroy the world. We can make it uninhabitable for ourselves, but something will survive and thrive. Life finds a way.

That said, I would rather we didn't make the world uninhabitable.

Edited by Julius Ratus

Here in England, we have only had 2 frosty mornings since autumn/winter began. Temperatures have hovered at around 12 degrees, and back in mid-November the trees were still covered with leaves. This has been the case increasingly from about the mid 'nineties. If this is the continuation of a 'natural' warming phase, then it has suddenly stepped itself up a pace. I think we all know what is happening, and I will use the phrase 'Global Warming' that so far has been absent from this thread, aside from Primus Pilus' link.

It is down to all of us - right now, and as individuals - to put a stop to this. Industry, after all, only reacts to the demands of consumers. I am happy to be able to say that my 'carbon footprint' currently averages at about 0.65, and has done for the past six months or so. The Carbon Footprint is a measure as to how many planet earths would be needed for everyone on the planet to live your lifestyle. If yours is 2.5, say, then it would take 2.5 planet earths for everyone on earth to live like you. Here is a link: http://erasemyfootprint.com/

Edited by Northern Neil

I think we all know what is happening though, and I will mention the phrase 'Global Warming' that so far has been absent from this thread.

But is the whole globe warming? Or are we seeing climatic changes, with some regions warming and others cooling? Doesn't the evidence from Antarctica, for example, support the 'climate change' view more than the 'global warming' view?

EDIT: Here is a Nature paper that presents evidence on the cooling of Antarctica.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato