UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

New Article - Pertinax

Following the assassination of Commodus on December 31, AD 192, Publius Helvius Pertinax, as both a revered elder member of the Senate and a chief lieutenant of the former emperor, was chosen to replace him. The reign of Pertinax is intriguing for its short length and related tragic turn of events which led to the further erosion of the Roman political state. It is also notable for his personal humble origins marking a distinct difference from all the Princeps/Emperors who ruled before him...

Pertinax

(feel free to discuss...)

I don't think Primus Pilus gets enough recognition for his historical outlines. They are very concise yet informative overviews.

Amazing what one can learn by clicking around this site! Thanks, P.P., for all your efforts.

Top notch-and stop blushing! :huh:

An excellent piece of work PP :smartass: .

I knew very little about Pertinax before reading your article but now you've made me curious.....

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Excellent Article! When I first saw it I was rather shocked as I thought it referred to our very own Pertinax! :huh:

You are very knowldgeable about this era PP, considering the other articles you've written on Commodus and the society of his times. They are all brilliantly written and very informative!

The the first site I refer people to when they need some quick knowledge of ancient Rome.

I too have to give credit to PP for his writing. Everytime I write something I have to make 300 footnotes because of just how much my mind wonders... lol

The the first site I refer people to when they need some quick knowledge of ancient Rome.

I too have to give credit to PP for his writing. Everytime I write something I have to make 300 footnotes because of just how much my mind wonders... lol

Frankly, footnotes would be the proper method. Since my pieces are intended only to be introductory, I purposely excluded them. The idea is to give a basic background and hopefully to inspire continued interest.

Outstanding article. Thanks for this one, Primus P.!

-- Nephele

Great article.

I think the Praetorians and perhaps the Senate had visions of the success of Nerva when they named Pertinax, but things had changed so much in one hundred years. The military and the Praetorians had become the Emperor makers leaving the Senate in an extremely weakened state. Men of the military, especially the foot soldiers don't have the patience of a statesman. Pertinax's short rule is just another Roman tragedy of the Imperial era.